The New Research Initiative Fund is an internal funding opportunities which supports Social Sciences and Humanities researchers that are exploring new research questions or areas in preparation for an upscaling of a project and grant submission.
The Knowledge Mobilization Activities and Initiatives Fund is an internal funding opportunity to help increase the reach and impact of social sciences and humanities research conducted at Laurentian University.
The Application Enhancement Fund is an internal funding opportunity that helps researchers who were not successful in obtaining SSHRC funding, but placed in the fourth sextile or higher, to improve their applications for resubmission by addressing identified gaps and weaknesses in their application.
The Louise Picard Public Health Research Grant aims to encourage collaboration between Public Health Sudbury & Districts (PHSD) staff and Laurentian University (LU) faculty members to explore research areas of mutual interest. The competition is open to all LU faculty members and staff members at the PHSD. Applications must demonstrate the partnership and how the two co-principal investigators from both the PHSD and LU are going to actively conduct the research.
USRAs are meant to nurture undergraduate students' interest in the natural sciences and engineering and fully develop their potential for a research career.
For more information regarding this opportunity, visit the NSERC USRA page.
The internal deadline for the 2022 awards has passed.
For information regarding the USRA program at Laurentian University, contact Sean Parsons at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thinking of Applying for Funding?
Contact a Research Advisor in the Office of Research Services for assistance!
1. Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
2. Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
- Upcoming funding opportunities and application deadlines for SSHRC
- SSHRC website
- Best Practices for Writing a SSHRC Grant Proposal
- Comparison Table of the SSHRC Partnership Engage, Partnership Development and Partnership Grants
3. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
4. New Frontiers in Research Fund (NFRF)
The NFRF is administered by the Tri-agency Institutional Programs Secretariat (TIPS).
- Exploration - Innovative high-risk, high-reward interdisciplinary research
- Transformation - Large-scale support for Canada to build strength and leadership in interdisciplinary and transformative research
- International - For Canadian researchers to partner on international projects
- Special Calls - Targeted to support emerging research as needed.
Other Funding Agencies
- Funding for projects that build partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada
- Funding that offers institutions ways to both acquire research infrastructure and to support its ongoing operating and maintenance costs
3. Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU)
- In partnership with the provincial and federal governments, OCI accelerates the commercialization and adoption of emerging technologies in Ontario.
- Ontario Genomics seeks to connect members of the scientific community with funding and award opportunities for research, commercialization, training and education.
Other Sources of Funding
- Laurentian University researchers can search for different funding opportunities using the PIVOT Database. Please note that you must be on campus to access the database.
- The Office of Research Services sends out a weekly newsletter by email to all faculty and staff containing the latest funding opportunities.