You are now in the main content area



Get our 2021 International Viewbook (PDF)


Due to the COVID-19 situation, we will be temporarily accepting unofficial transcripts (while we are waiting for WES and official transcripts) and unofficial language scores for CONDITIONAL admission. Official documents will be required at a later date in order to clear your admissions dossier. For more information, please contact us at Laurentian University takes the COVID-19 situation very seriously. Should our students or applicants have any questions about it, please visit our last updates at

International Students

International Applicants

This document is updated as the COVID-19 situation evolves. Last update: February 22, 2021.


Where can I find the most up-to-date immigration information?

Please refer to the following Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) websites for up-to-date immigration information.

We are also available to help with your immigration questions. Please contact an immigration advisor by sending an email to


Is Laurentian University a designated learning institution reopening to international students?

Yes, you can find on this page the official list from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) of designated learning institutions (DLIs) that are now able to reopen to international students who aren’t currently in Canada and who:

List of approved DLIs:


Before traveling to Canada, do I need pre-departure COVID-19 testing?

Yes. Pre-departure COVID-19 testing and negative results are required for all air travellers coming to Canada. Besides, further restrictions on international travel were introduced on February 12. See details here:


How can I prepare for my arrival at Laurentian?

The Government of Canada has introduced further measures to help limit the spread of COVID-19 and its variants in Canada. 

As such, foreign nationals are strongly advised to postpone or cancel any non-essential travel plans to Canada.

The travel requirements for Laurentian University International students are available here:  


Where can I consult the latest news for Laurentian's international students?

This page gives you the most recent information in regards to immigration requirements, quarantine period, and more:  


When can I begin studying at Laurentian University?

From distance, as soon as May 2021 (under the conditions of your letter of acceptance). In Canada, you can also start your studies in May should you have a valid study permit or letter of introduction, and accommodation arrangements have been made according to these instructions.

The admissions team is now processing applications for the Spring term, which begins on May 3rd, 2021. They are also accepting applications for the Fall term, which begins in September 2021.

Keep in mind that it takes three to four weeks to evaluate your application once your documents have been uploaded (transcripts, language assessment if needed, etc.). Should you receive an offer of admission, you would then apply for a study permit, which can be a lengthy process. We encourage you to start this process as soon as possible. In case you don’t receive your study permit on time ffor your desired start date, you will be able to defer at no cost your admission to the next intake by using this form.       

We also understand that some students require additional flexibility in meeting deadlines as a result of disruptions to schooling or exams due to COVID-19. Laurentian is committed to working with any students who may need extra time in order to complete their application. However, should you not present your final, original transcript, before the start of classes, Laurentian University reserves the right to rescind your admission. For questions or more details, please contact us at


If I have received an offer of admission to a program that has been moved to remote delivery due to COVID-19, do I still need a study permit to study from my home country?

Even though you may begin your studies from your home country, we recommend you apply for a study permit as soon as you receive your offer of admission for a program that is normally offered in-person. This is especially important as you will have to finish your program on campus, Laurentian University being part of the designated learning institutions that are reopening to international students.


Can I travel to Laurentian University if I get or if I already have my study permit?

You can either study from your country of residence since in-person programs have been temporarily moved online due to COVID-19 or travel to Sudbury should you have:

  • a valid study permit or letter of introduction;
  • negative results to a pre-departure COVID-19 test (see details here or above);
  • accommodation arrangements according to these instructions

Although Laurentian University is on the list of designated learning institutions reopening to international students, please refer to the IRCC website for updated instructions regarding travelling to Canada, study permits, working on and off-campus and Post-Graduation Work Permit Eligibility.

Information for international students and the consequences of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) have been issued by the Government of Canada on this page.

Since most of the January in-class courses have been moved to an online-only format, because of COVID-19, we suggest to study from home (either from your country or from our campus to avoid time difference).


What should I do if I have any immigration-related questions (e.g., if my study permit needs to be extended this year)?

International students are encouraged to book an appointment directly with an Immigration Advisor. Contact to book an appointment.


I am unable to take an English Language Proficiency Test (IELTS, TOEFL, etc.). What do I do?

We now accept Duolingo English Test with a minimum score of 110 as an English language proficiency test for direct admissions during COVID-19. Please visit our page for more information on other tests that may meet your needs. If you cannot provide us with a recognized proficiency test at this time, we will still assess your application for admission. You may be required to complete our English for Academic Preparation Program, prior to commencing your studies full-time.


I am an international student and I have accepted my offer of admission. How do I defer to another session?

International students may begin their studies from anywhere in the world. Access to our world class programming, faculty and researchers continues to be available via online tools. Additionally, IRCC has amended the post-graduate work permit to include those who study online/distance. Requesting to defer your studies is not necessary, though it is possible by completing this form.


What’s the COVID-19 situation in the City of Greater Sudbury where is located Laurentian University?

Your best resource to keep being informed is Public Health Sudbury & Districts, a progressive public health agency committed to improving health and reducing social inequities in health through evidence-informed practice.
As stated on May 24 by Dominic Giroux, President and CEO of Health Sciences North and the Health Sciences North Research Institute, Sudbury and Ontario tested more than the rest of Canada for COVID-19 which demonstrates the proactive measures being taken by our community.


Will my tuition fees be reimbursed if I study online because of COVID-19 while waiting for a study permit that finally gets refused?

Students who withdraw prior to January 22 will not be charged any tuition fees. Courses dropped after January 22 will be charged according to this schedule. Graduate thesis completion refund schedule can be found here.

Please note that courses offered in a distant format because of COVID-19 are subject to the same excellence criteria as courses offered on campus. As such, no refund will be allowed except according to the above schedules. Should you have more questions, please contact


Can I pay my deposit after the deadline stated on my Decision Letter?

We encourage you to pay your deposit as soon as possible to reserve your place in your program of interest. As mentioned on the last page of your Decision Letter, payments can be made through Flywire at For more details about our Deposit Policy for International Applicants, please click here.

You are already in Canada? See these other payment options: 


What do I do if I am unable to request a WES report? 

If you applied to one of our graduate programs, we will be temporarily accepting official or unofficial transcripts (while we are waiting for WES) and unofficial language scores for conditional admission. Please make sure to submit the documents on the Applicant Portal. Official documents and a course by course WES report will be required before the start of classes in order to clear your admissions dossier.