Parents and Guidance Counsellors
As a parent, Guidance Counsellor or member of your student’s support team, you play a vital role in your student’s educational journey towards a rewarding career. Having the right tools in-hand allows you to offer guidance and support as they choose the postsecondary program and institution that will shape their academic future. From information on upcoming events and submission deadlines, to tips on supporting your young adult, we’ve got you covered.
While the information below is bucketed into two categories: Parents and Guidance Counsellors, the messages below are important to anyone who is looking to guide their student through the post-secondary process.
Foundation for the future
Do you have questions about what our transformation and renewal mean for you as a parent or someone supporting a student in their post-secondary experience?
Ontario High School Admissions
Out of province High School Admissions
- Ontario Universities Regional Fairs
- Download the Laurentian University Viewbook (PDF)
- Grade 11 Passport
- Degree prerequisite planning
- Student University Budget template
- Click on File then Make a Copy. If you do not have a Google Drive account, click File then click Download and select Excel.
- Pathways to University - Viewbook
- Parent Guide - Viewbook
- Laurentian Student Stories & Blogs
- Virtual Campus Tour
- Discover Sudbury
Are you a guidance counsellor who is in a school that is not in Ontario, but within Canada? Here’s some important information for you!
Consult our quick-reference chart in our Admissions section that outlines the requirement equivalencies for admissions to our programs. Ontario admissions requirements are based on grade 12 academic (4 U/M) courses.
What is the OUAC?
The Ontario Universities Application Center (OUAC) processes applications for admission to all Ontario universities. You can find out more on the OUAC’s website About section.
How to Apply
1. Know what type of OUAC application they will need to complete
Out of province applicants, international students, mature students, and college and university transfers will complete the 105 Application. Information about deadlines and any associated fees are available on the OUAC website.
2. Chose a program and check the program requirements
Before applying a student must first collect the OUAC codes for each program they are interested in. Also, you must ensure they meet the high school class prerequisites for each program.
These program requirements can be found below. Or they can navigate to the program details on our Program Pages.
Some programs provide supplementary documentation to guide or further refine the application process. Please check that they have completed any additional documentation required for the program.
3. Login to the OUAC website and complete the application
When applying they will need to follow the link that matches the proper application type. Out of province applicants will use the 105 Application.
4. Receive the acknowledgement letter and access the applicant portal
Within two business days of applying to the OUAC, they will receive an email from Laurentian’s Office of Admission with information on accessing their Applicant Portal. If they do not receive this email have them check their spam folder or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Applicant Portal is an online resource for students who have applied for admission. It allows them to interact with the Office of Admissions, to submit documents, to access any supplemental forms required to process the application, to track the status of the application, to apply for a spot in residence, to receive information on fees, scholarships and bursaries, and much more!
5. Receive a decision letter
Once we have reviewed the application, a decision letter will be posted in the Documents folder on the Applicant Portal. The offer may contain conditions so please read the letter carefully before responding.
To help them accept an offer, please visit the 105 Login Portal to access their OUAC account. Follow all of the instructions to accept the offer. Our Office of Admissions is notified within 48 hours of them accepting the offer.
The OUAC application deadline for 105 (non current Ontario high school students) is February 1st 2021 for limited enrollment programs.
Please note that if the application for admission is not received 14 days before the start of classes for any given semester, the application for admission will be considered for the next semester
Events and Presentations
Would you like additional viewbooks for your school?
Are your students curious when they will hear back? Please ensure they apply to the following prior to these deadlines.
- A reminder that the deadline to apply to Laurentian University for guaranteed consideration for fall 2023 is January 12, 2023 for 101's and February 1, 2023 for 105;
- Also note that the deadline to apply to some of our prestigious scholarships, such as the Jim Fielding Memorial Bursary, is due on March 1, 2023;
- Our guaranteed response date for 101 applications is May 29, 2023;
- And lastly, the residence application deadline is June 2, 2023.