Nelson Belzile is an analytical and environmental chemist with several years of experience in the fields of geochemistry and limnology. He teaches environmental and analytical chemistry. He is also an invited professor at the Trent University of Peterborough and at several Chinese universities. He has published more than 100 scientific papers most of them dealing with the determination, speciation and geochemistry of hydride-forming trace elements.
- B.Sc. Chemistry
- M.Sc. Oceanography
- Ph.D. Oceanography
Biogeochemical behaviour of toxic trace elements (Se, Hg, Sb, As, Te) in aquatic systems. Distribution, speciation and bioavailability.
Toxic effect of selenium in waterfowl.
Reactivity and valorization of mine tailings. Mine water treatment. Low-cost wastewater treatment.
Analytical and Environmental Chemistry
- Merit Increments
Chapters in Academic Books (refereed)
- Belzile, N. (2014) Minerals, metals, toxicity and substitutes. In: Resources, Empire and Labour: Globalization Crises and Alternatives, D. Leadbeater (Ed.), Fernwood Publishers, 124-134.
Articles in Refereed Journals (selection)
- Pizarro, J., Castillo, X., Jara, S., Ortiz, C., Navarro, P., Cid, H., Rioseco, H., Barros, D. & Belzile, N. (2015) Adsorption of Cu2+ on coal fly ash modified with functionalized mesoporous silica. Fuel, 156, 96-102.
- Deng, T.-L., Wu, Y., Yu, X., Guo, Y., Chen, Y.-W. & Belzile, N. (2014) Seasonal variations of arsenic at the sediment-water interface of Poyang Lake, China. Applied Geochemistry,47, 170-176.
- Truong, H.Y.T., Chen, Y.-W., Saleh, M., Nezhati, S., George, G.N., Pickering, I.J. & Belzile, N. (2014) Proteomics of Desulfovibrio desulfuricans and X-ray absorption spectroscopy to investigate mercury methylation in presence of selenium. Metallomics, 6, 465-475.
- Filella, M., Belzile, N. & Chen, Y.-W. (2013) Human exposure to antimony. IV. Contents in human blood. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology,43, 2071-2105.
- Brady, C., Petrie, S.A., Schummer, M.L., Badzinski, S.S., Belzile. N. & Chen, Y.-W. (2013) Effects of dietary selenium on the health and survival of captive wintering lesser scaup. Environmental Pollution, 175, 8-15.
- Yang, D.Y., Chen, Y.-W. & Belzile, N. (2011) Evidences of non-reactive mercury selenium compounds generated from cultures of Pseudomonas fluorescens. Science of the Total Environment, 409, 1697-1703.
- Chen, Y.-W. & Belzile, N. (2010) High performance liquid chromatography coupled to atomic fluorescence spectrometry for the speciation of the hydride and chemical vapour-forming elements As, Se, Sb and Hg: A critical review. Analytica Chimica Acta, 671, 9-26.
- Polack, R., Chen, Y.-W. & Belzile, N. (2009) Behaviour of Sb(V) in the presence of dissolved sulfide under anoxic aqueous conditions. Chemical Geology, 262, 179-185.
- Yang, D.Y., Chen, Y.-W. , Gunn, J.M. & Belzile, N. (2008) Selenium and mercury in organisms: interactions and mechanisms. Environmental Reviews, 16, 71-92.