Ann Pegoraro is the Director of the Institute for Sport Marketing (ISM) and holds an appointment as a Full Professor in the School of Human Kinetics, all at Laurentian University. Dr. Pegoraro holds a doctorate from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and an MBA degree from Laurentian University.
- Ph.D., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2006
- MBA, Laurentian University, 1994
- Post-Grad Diploma, Public Administration, Laurentian University, 1994
- Honours BA, Laurentian University, 1991
Associate Professor, School of Human Kinetics
Cross appointed, School of the Environment (Science Communication)
Adjunct Professor School of Human Kinetics/, University of Ottawa
Adjunct Professor, Department of Communications Studies, Huntington University
On The Web
Dr. Pegoraro's research focuses mainly on sport communication and sport consumers, including how different forms of media are used to establish connections with consumers of sport at all levels from amateur to professional. Dr Pegoraro's work has been published in the Journal of Broadcast and Electronic Media, International Journal of Sport Communication, Communication and Sport, American Behavioral Scientist, Journal of Sport Management, the International Journal of Sport Marketing and Management and the Journal of Sponsorship.
PHED 4707 - Special Topics: Social Marketing
PHED 3146 - Health Promotion in the Corporate Setting
PHED 5026/27 - MHK Seminar
SCOM 5136 - Communicating Science through New Media
- Jago, E., Gauthier, A., Michel, G., Pegoraro, A., Dorman, S.C. (in press). Validation of an audio-video method for assessment of dietary quantity, quality, and practicality for use in clinical applications. Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism.
- Allison, R., Pegoraro, A., Frederick, E. and Thompson, A. (in press) When Women Athletes Transgress: An Exploratory Study of Image Repair and Social Media Response Sport and Society
- Hull, K. Romney, M., Pegoraro, A., and Harrison, G. (in press) It’s Funny to Hear a Female Talk About Routes Journal of Social Media in Society.
- Smith, L.R., Pegoraro, A. and Cruikshank, S. (2019) Tweet, Retweet, Favorite: The Impact of Twitter Use on Enjoyment and Sports Viewing Journal of Electronic and Broadcast Media https://doi.org/10.1080/08838151.2019.1568805
- Frederick, E., Pegoraro, A. and Sanderson, J. (2019). Divided and united: Perceptions of athlete activism at the ESPYS Sport and Society https://doi.org/10.1080/17430437.2018.1530220
- Schmidt, S., Frederick, E., Pegoraro, A. and Spencer, T. (2019) An Analysis of Colin Kaepernick, Megan Rapinoe, and the National Anthem Protests Communication and Sport https://doi.org/10.1177/2167479518793625
- Santos, T., Correia, A., Biscaia, R. and Pegoraro, A. (2019) Conceptualization and Measurement of Fan Engagement Through Social Networking Sites and its Consequences International Journal of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship Vol. 20 (1), 163-183.
- Cote-Meek, S., Moeke-Pickering, T. and Pegoraro, A. (2018) Understanding the ways Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women (MMIW) are Framed and Handled by Social Media Users. Media International Australia Vol. 169(1) 54–64.
- Hull, K. Romney, M, Pegoraro, A. and Stilwell, M, (2018). ##SelfPromote: A Case Study Analyzing Promotion on NBC’s Official 2016 Olympic Instagram Account Global Sport Business Journal Vol 6 (2), 1-6.
- Frederick, E. and Pegoraro, A. (2018) Scandal in College Basketball: A Case Study of Image Repair via Facebook International Journal of Sport Communication 11, 414-429.
Yan, G., Pegoraro, A. & Watanabe, N., (2018). Student-Athletes’ Organization of Activism at the University of Missouri: A Multi-Faceted Analysis of Resource Mobilization on Twitter Journal of Sport Management Vol 32, 24-37.
Darvin, L., Pegoraro, A. & Berri, D. (2018). Head Coach Gender and Individual Player Performance: An investigation of the WNBA and NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Sex Roles Vol. 78, (7–8), 455–466.
O”Hallarn, B., Shapiro, S. and Pegoraro, A. (2018) Twitter Hashtags As Secondary Ticket Market Determinants, International Journal of Sport Management & Marketing Vol. 18, No. 3, 199-219.
Watanabe, N., Yan, G., Soebbing, B. & Pegoraro, A. (2017) Is There Economic Discrimination On Sport Social Media. Journal of Sport Management, 31, 374-386.
Frederick, E., Pegoraro, A. and Burch, L. (2017. Legends worthy of lament: An analysis of self-presentation and user framing on the Legends Football League’s Facebook page Sociology of Sport Vol. 12, (1), 169-190.
- Gonsalves, C.A., McGannon, K.R., Schinke, R.J., & Pegoraro, A. (2017). Mass media narratives of women’s cardiovascular disease: A qualitative meta-synthesis. Health Psychology Review. DOI: 10.1080/17437199.2017.1281750
- Pegoraro, A. Scott, O. and Burch, L. (2017) Strategic use of Facebook to Build Brand Awareness: A Case Study of Two National Sport Organizations International Journal of Public Administration in the Digital Age Vol 4,(1) 71-90
- Naraine, M., Pegoraro, A., Aurélien, F., and Parent, M. (2016) Twitter data collection in sport communication: A comparison of text-only and hashtag search queries using Team Canada’s men’s ice hockey competitions at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, Revue européenne de management du sport 48, 8-26.
- Frederick, E., Pegoraro, A. and Burch, L. (2016). Echo chambers and the organic: A comparative analysis of traditional and social media framing of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games Online Information Review Vol 40, (6), 798-813.
- Frederick, E., Stocz, M. and Pegoraro, A. (2016). Prayers, punishment, and perception: An analysis of the response to the Tony Stewart – Kevin Ward incident on Facebook, Journal of Sport & Social Issues http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17430437.2015.1133598
- Blaszka, M., Frederick, E. L., Newman, T., & Pegoraro, A. (2016) Was dissent being displayed during the Sochi Olympics? Examining the #Sochi2014 hashtag for dissent. Global Sport Business Association Journal.4 (1), 1-13.
- Pegoraro, A. (2015). Nine for IX Branded: From Affect to Action. Journal of Sports Media 10 (2), 45-63.
- Burch, L., Frederick, E. and Pegoraro, A. (2015). Kissing in the Carnage: An Examination of Framing on Twitter during the Vancouver riots Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media. 59 (3), 399-415.
- Pegoraro, A., Frederick, E., Burch, L. and Vincent, C. (2015). I Am Not Loving It: Examining The Hijacking Of #CheersToSochi International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing 15(3-4), 163–183.
- Abeza, G., Pegoraro, A., Naraine, M., Seguin, B. and O’Reilly, N. (2015). Activating a Global Sport Sponsorship with Social Media: An Analysis of TOP Sponsors, Twitter, and the 2014 Olympic Games. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing 15(3-4), 184–213.
- Hambrick, M. E. and Pegoraro, A. (2015) Social Sochi: Using Social Network Analysis to Investigate Electronic Word-of-Mouth Transmitted through Social Media Communities, Int. J. of Sport Management and Marketing 15(3-4), 120–140.
- Pegoraro, A. (2014) Twitter as Disruptive Innovation in Sport Communication. Communication and Sport 2(2) 132-137.
- Pegoraro, A. (2013). Sport fandom in the digital world. In P. Pedersen (Ed.), The Routledge Handbook of Sport Communication, 248-258. New York: Routledge
- Pegoraro, A. and Jinnah, N. (2012) The impact of professional athletes’ use of Twitter on current and potential sponsorship opportunities. Journal of Brand Strategy 1, 85-97.
- O”Reilly, N., Ayer, S., Pegoraro, A., Leonard, B. and Rundle-Thiele, S. (2012) Toward an Understanding of Donor Loyalty: Demographics, Personality, Persuasion, and Revenue. Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing, 24:1, 65-81
- Nadeau, J., Pegoraro, A., O’Reilly, N., Jones, D.F. and Carvalho, P. (2011) Community Reflections and Attendance in Professional Sport: Diversity and Team-Market Congruence Journal of Sport Management 25 169-180
- Pegoraro, A. (2010) Look Who’s Talking—Athletes on Twitter: A Case Study International Journal of Sport Communication 3, 501-514
- Pegoraro, A., Ayer, S and O’Reilly, N. (2010) Consumer Consumption and Advertising through Sport. American Behavioral Scientist. 53; 1454-1475