(Dec. 1, 2020) December 1, 2020 will mark the sixth consecutive year that Laurentian University participates in Giving Tuesday. This global event is a day of giving that happens each year after Black Friday and Cyber Monday. It is a time when Canadians, charities and businesses come together to celebrate giving and participate in activities that support charities and nonprofits.
This year has been like no other. These are difficult times, and we are dealing with unprecedented working and living conditions. With our strategic plan #Imagine2023 in mind, this year's Giving Tuesday Campaign will focus on raising funds for Laurentian University students facing the many hardships during this Global Pandemic.
The Student Emergency Support Fund
The Student Emergency Support Fund was established by Laurentian University shortly after the COVID-19 emergency was declared on Tuesday, March 10th, 2020. TD has generously partnered with us this year and has provided $15,000 in matching funds. Community members interested in contributing will be able to double their impact by donating through laurentian.ca/give/make-an-impact
The goal of the fund is to provide financial assistance to students with:
- Food purchases and other costs for financially disadvantaged students;
- Addressing housing challenges for students who are self-isolating to protect their loved ones in remote, rural and Indigenous communities, or who are stranded far from home and loved ones due to border closures;
- Securing an internet connection at home, for those who may have just been using the internet on campus previously;
- Income loss due to a business closure or lay-off;
- Other financial hardships that may have presented themselves due to the COVID-19 measures implemented by Laurentian University, and all levels of government.