This policy is designed to recognize and reward students with high academic achievement who are registered in a 100% course load in two semesters (fall/winter) in a first degree and pay International fees to Laurentian University. Excellence scholarships are awarded to all students who are entering their 1st year and who register full-time in an undergraduate first degree program at Laurentian University.
International Excellence Scholarships
Averages are calculated automatically based on equivalency-adjusted GPA using the World Education Service tables.
- 80% - 89.9% up to $40,000 ($10,000 in 1st year, renewable in subsequent years provided average is maintained)*
- 90% - 100% up to $60,000 ($15,000 in 1st year, renewable in subsequent years provided average is maintained)*
*These scholarships are renewable in subsequent years for a maximum of three years or upon graduation whichever comes first, provided that the average remains above 80% (LU GPA = 7.5) and all of the other disbursement and renewal regulations are met. To continue the scholarship at the same value, the average in subsequent years must remain above 80% (7.5 GPA) or 90% (9.5 GPA). If the average decreases in subsequent years, the award will be recalculated on the basis of the above scholarship grid as long as an 80% (GPA = 7.5) average is maintained. If you fail to meet all disbursement and renewal regulations at any point, you will no longer be eligible. For scholarship purposes, the average calculation is not rounded up.
Scholarships are limited to students studying in open enrolment undergraduate programs only (excluded program: Nursing (E/F))
Disbursement and Renewal Regulations
- International Excellence Scholarship amounts are official upon final marks. Mid-term grades will be used to inform the student where they fall in the above grid.
- At any point in time, if the student receives an International Excellence Scholarship but does not achieve an average of 80% (GPA = 7.5) or higher in any following year, they will no longer be eligible for it.
- If the student enters with an average above 80% and obtains an average over 90% (GPA = 9.5) in subsequent years, they are only eligible for renewal of their $10,000 International Excellence Scholarship.
- Scholarship decisions are made in June of each year. For students who take spring/summer session courses, these credits will be used for the renewal eligibility for the following academic year.
- To renew the scholarship, students must have studied full-time in the previous academic year (30 credits - of which 24 credits must have been taken in the Fall/Winter term) – (the academic year is defined as May to April of each year for scholarship purposes) and attained a minimum average of 80% (GPA = 7.5).
- Students must be registered full-time during the following academic year (minimum 24 credits from September to April) and pay international tuition fees to Laurentian University in order to remain eligible.
- Students must be on the Dean's Honors List.
- For students starting their studies in September, 100% course load is defined as 30 credits during the Fall/Winter session. Eligibility for renewal will be based on full-time status in the previous academic year (30 credits-of which 24 credits must have been taken in the Fall/Winter term).
- An academic year is defined as May to April of the following year. For example, May 2022 to April 2023 is an academic year. As scholarship decisions are made in June of each year, the deadline to calculate students’ overall academic averages is the end of May.
- Scholarships could be withheld or canceled if a balance remains on the student’s account.
- Scholarships are paid in two installments (Fall and Winter). Students who withdraw or drop below 24 credits could either lose their scholarship or have their awards reduced.
- Students who are 60 years of age and receive a tuition exemption waiver are not eligible for the Laurentian University International Academic Excellence Scholarships.
- Students with a prior degree are not eligible for the Laurentian University International Academic Excellence Scholarships.
- Scholarship payments are processed in October and January.
- Students who start in January must register for a minimum of 12 credits for that term – the scholarship will be paid per credit and students must obtain a minimum of 80% (or 90% depending on original GPA) to be eligible for renewal in May. The scholarship renewal criteria will then apply as per above criteria - An academic year is defined as May to April of the following year. For example, May 2021 to April 2022 is an academic year. As scholarship decisions are made in June of each year, the deadline to calculate students’ overall academic averages is the end of May. The final year (4th term) value will be reduced by the original semester's payment. For example, if you take 12 credits in your first January and have an average of 80% you will receive $4,000. In your final term you will receive $6,000.