Centre for Academic Excellence (CAE)
Teaching & Learning
The Centre for Academic Excellence (CAE) helps students transition to university and stay on track during their studies. The CAE offers a variety of academic supports, including:
Academic advisors help students better understand their goals, their academic plans, and guide students as they make important decisions about their future.
Students are advised on a variety of topics such as course selection, registration, and interpreting university regulations. Advisors also provide referrals to other university offices and offer options during tough times and difficult situations.
Specific student needs are addressed in the following advising programs:
- Academic Advantage (Introduction to University Studies, Early Warning, Probation Program)
- Degree & Career Exploration
- First Year Student Advising
- International Student Advising
- Transfer Students
- Voyageur Advantage (for student athletes)
Academic Writing assistance is available to all Laurentian students who would like some extra help to improve their writing skills.
Peer writing coaches are available for:
- Consultations with pre-writing, writing, and post-writing
- Linking the syllabus/learning outcomes and the assignment
- Using a writing process specific to an assignment (genre, style)
- Understanding academic integrity and intellectual property
- Creating an outline while tracking research
- Referencing or citing using APA, MLA, Vancouver or Chicago writing styles
- Reviewing points of grammar, vocabulary, sentence structure, and/or punctuation
- Using Microsoft Word
Appointments are available to all students in English or French. (Including federated universities, on campus, or distance education).
Learning Assistance provides students with resources and opportunities to improve their ability to learn at a university level.
Learning Assistance offers:
- ACEX 1006: Understanding, Learning, and Inquiry
- Online Resources
- Peer Writing Tutors (English and French)
- Excellence in Learning
- Study Skills Coaching
- Tutor Directory
- Tutor Training
Students can also meet one-on-one with a study skills coach to privately go over academic strengths and areas of improvement:
- Critical Thinking
- Exam Preparation
- Note Taking
- Study Skills
- Time Management
Together, a personalized study plan is created to meet each student’s specific needs.
Laurentian University offers hundreds of courses online and students can complete various certificates and programs via online distance education.
Laurentian Online offers:
- Fully online degree programs and courses
- College to online degree pathways
- Opportunities to learn from anywhere in the world
- Flexible learning pace – apply for admission and register for courses in up to three terms annually
- No annual or out-of-province fees for part-time learners – pay for courses only when you register for them
- Knowledgeable instructors
- Dedicated and experienced staff
For a list of available online programs and courses please visit: https://laurentian.ca/online-distance-education
Where to find us
Monday - Friday
9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Drop-In Academic Advising
10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.