Being a student athlete is probably one of the most fun yet hardest things to balance while attending University. I have a few tips and tricks in order to not feel overwhelmed and enjoy the life of being both an Athlete and a Student!
Laurentian University is home to many athletes balancing this lifestyle; not only that, but even being a STUDENT requires you to be healthy and fit, so this applies to everyone!
1. MAKE TIME FOR THE IMPORTANT THINGS
- Prioritizing your academic and sport life is essential! Write down in a daily planner when midterms are, when assignments are due, when presentations are being presented, when competitions are, when you’re going to do leg day. That way there are no surprises! Along with this, make sure you aren’t stressed when practising. Get everything done or have a set plan, that way when you are doing your workout your main focus will be THE workout, not about that 16 page essay you haven’t started yet….true
2. WORKOUT WHEN YOU NEED A BREAK
- Exercising is probably one of the best ways to let loose and release some stress. When you are feeling down or overwhelmed or simply need a break, go do some exercise! Put some headphones in and let er’ rip.
- Laurentian Campus has lots of space to workout! From the track, to the bouldering room, swimming pool, jumping towers, and basketball courts! No excuses not to go workout.
3. MAKE SURE YOU EAT WELL
- When you’re constantly working out, or have practice every day, along with balancing classes, you get pretty dang hungry
- I always make sure I have a set 3 meals a day. Making time throughout the day to eat three good meals is super important. Along with that, snacks are key. You can’t go wrong with a banana to restock your fuel!
- Don’t get blindsided by all the work you have to do, both physically and academically, that you forget to eat! Eating is the best part of my day tbh.
4. DO THINGS OTHER THAN WORKOUT AND SLEEP- EVEN WHEN YOU’RE TIRED
- The biggest habit to fall into is saying “sorry Pal, I am super exhausted, had an intense practice today man, I can’t come out” .
- Being a student athlete is obviously tiring, but you’re also in university! Don’t let it prevent you from doing 20-year old fun things. Don’t lie in your bed watching ‘Friends’ for the third time when you could be out singing Mariah Carey on Karaoke
- Trust me. If you don’t you’ll regret it!
5. ITS OKAY TO TAKE A BREAK
- If you are on a sports team for Laurentian, it is safe to say when in season it can get pretty busy. Especially around Exam season when you want to study, but also need to smash out a 1-2 hour practice.
- Remember why you came to university. To learn. If you need the time to study, or even just relax, its okay to take that time needed. Don’t put pressure on yourself to get everything done. You know your body best and when it needs the rest (I did that rhyme myself….thank you).
6. LAST THING….OWN IT
- If you are on a sports team, that’s pretty hype. Let it be known. Want to wear the track Adidas pants, hoodie AND backpack to let every one KNOW you rep Laurentian? DO IT!
- You earned your spot on that team and enjoy it. Enjoy the travelling, enjoy your teammates, enjoy the rush, enjoy the nervousness. You deserve it and shouldn’t let school bring you down
- Being able to balance both academic and sport life is pretty damn impressive. Doing it right and not feel overwhelmed- even better! Getting good grades and personal bests, you can’t go wrong
- In the end, if you have it organized and know what is coming your way, it isn’t hard. Yes we have more to think about, but being a student-athlete adds to the fun of attending Laurentian University
- Not only that, but if you are having a hard time, there are so many others living this ‘double-life’ with you. Not alone! Reach out, and make some friends, we are all one!