In honour of a $3 million investment from Mrs. Lily Fielding and her family, Laurentian University will name its new state-of-the-art facility the Clifford A. Fielding Research, Innovation, and Engineering Building.
As a result of this gift, the University will also honour Jim Fielding, late son of Clifford and Lily Fielding. Jim Fielding was a passionate believer in education and greatly valued the role that Laurentian University plays in facilitating access to education while driving economic activity and innovation in the City of Greater Sudbury, Northern Ontario and beyond.
“The Fielding family supported this project from the beginning and have been integral in realizing this much needed expansion of research and innovation space in our region,” said Dominic Giroux, President and Vice-Chancellor, Laurentian University. “Cliff was a great ambassador to our city, and advocated for driving innovative growth in the north. His family continues this legacy and we are proud to name this building in his honour.”
Lily Fielding and her family’s investment was an important part of the University’s proposal for strategic investment funding which was announced by the Canadian and Ontario governments on September 23, 2016. The project totals $60.7 million and will be completed in 2018.
“We are happy to lend support to Laurentian University for the role they play in driving growth and innovation in our community,” said Jamie Wallace, first Laurentian University alumnus to Chair the Board of Governors. “The Clifford A. Fielding Research, Innovation, and Engineering Building will have an immense impact on further driving economic activity and innovation in the City of Greater Sudbury, Northeastern Ontario and beyond.”
The Fielding family has a long history of investing in both Laurentian and the Sudbury community. Most recently, the city’s largest outdoor park, Kivi Park, was made possible thanks to the generosity of Mrs. Lily Fielding. The Fielding family has established significant student awards at both Laurentian University and the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, including the Clifford Fielding Graduate Bursary, Brenda Wallace Management Scholarship and the Jim Fielding Memorial Bursary. In 1968, a generous benefaction from the Fielding family resulted in the construction of the Fielding Memorial Chapel of St. Mark at Thorneloe University.
The Clifford A. Fielding Research, Innovation and Engineering Building will include collaborative research and development space, innovation and commercialization space, as well as much needed space for the award-winning Bharti School of Engineering including four capstone innovation labs, a material analysis lab, environmental and soil mechanics lab, prototype development and machine shop, integrated software lab and lecture theatre, and a hydraulics and fluid mechanics lab. Each of these spaces have been identified in consultation with local industry in order to maximize inter-disciplinary opportunities.
About Clifford A. Fielding:
Cliff Fielding was born on the Fielding family farm, now Fielding Park, in Waters Township in 1915 and raised in Copper Cliff. An entrepreneur at the age of 20, he started a transportation company to haul ore and gravel for the mining companies and to provide construction services. He started his company using the family’s team of horses and shortly after a single truck.
By 1950 Cliff Fielding Limited had a staff of 50 and a fleet of 40 trucks. By then he had established Wavy Industries, which manufactured concrete ready mix and bulk cement mixing. At the time of his death, Fielding was Chair and CEO of Waters Holding Corporation. His interests included Alexander Centre Industries Limited (ACIL), Fisher Wavy Inc., Wavy Industries, Fisher Construction of Sudbury, and Fisher Harbour on La Cloche Island. Fielding also owned the Northern Ski Company, which made both alpine and cross-country skis from 1943 to 1950.
Known for having grown his thriving businesses in the Sudbury area, Fielding is also remembered for his work with the Canadian Pacific Railway, and his service to the Board at Memorial Hospital and at Laurentian University (1964-1979). He received an honorary doctorate of science from Laurentian University and an honorary doctorate of canon law from Thorneloe University.
About Malcolm James (Jim) Fielding:
Born, raised and always proud to be a Sudburian. Jim held the position of Chairman of the Board of Alexander Centre Industries Ltd. (ACIL), Waters Holding Corporation and associate companies, which were established by his father in 1935.
Jim was elected as a Director of Canadian Pacific on May 7, 1986 and continued serving in that capacity through to his successful re-election in April 2000.
About Laurentian University
Laurentian University offers an outstanding university experience in English and French, with a comprehensive approach to Indigenous education. Laurentian’s students benefit from small class sizes and exceptional post-graduation employment rates. With nine Canada Research Chairs and eighteen research centres, Laurentian is a recognized leader in its specialized areas of research strength, which include mining innovation and exploration, stressed watershed systems, particle astrophysics and rural and northern children’s health. Laurentian University has secured over $100 million in research income in the past five years.