I am an Associate Professor of Philosophy and the Canada Research Chair in Environment, Culture and Values. Before joining Laurentian University in 2011, I was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Philosophy at Loyola University in Chicago. My doctoral dissertation in the philosophy of the life sciences at the University of Western Ontario (now Western University) was supervised by Professor Wayne Myrvold. I also conducted a CIHR-funded Post Doc in the Ethics of Health Research and Policy at Dalhousie University's Novel Tech Ethics group under the supervision of Professor Françoise Baylis. I am currently the Director of Laurentian's Centre for Humanities Research and Creativity (CHRC) and a founding core member of the Centre for Evolutionary Ecology and Ethical Conservation (CEEEC, pronounced 'seek').
- PhD in Philosophy, University of Western Ontario
- MA in Philosophy, University of Guelph
- BA (Hons) in Philosophy, McMaster University
Canada Research Chair (Tier 2), Environment, Culture and Values
Associate Professor of Philosophy
Core member, Humanities MA
Associate member, Human Studies PhD
Associate member, Interdisciplinary PhD in Rural and Northern Health
On The Web
My research lies in the Philosophy of the Life Sciences, including the Philosophy of Biology and Bioethics. In the realm of Bioethics, my primiary interests lie in the global impact of novel technologies for social justice, including the distribution of medical goods and services, including (but not limited to) the migration of care workers, medical and reproductive tourism. In the Philosophy of Biology, I investigate the application of Darwinian selection models to cultural change using formal models of bird song transmission. Spaning both the Philosophy of Biology and Bioethics, I also conduct work on the ethics of ecological research.
For more information, visit http://www.ceeec.ca/people/gillian-crozier/cv
- Fall 2016: PHIL 4006 / HUMA 5216 "The Philosophical Animal"; PHIL 2366 "Philosophy of Biology"
Selected Grants and Awards
- Northern Ontario Heritage Fund (NOHFC) Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Development Grant, PI with Albrecht Schulte-Hostedde and Paul Hansen (as Co-Investigators), and with Brett Buchanan, Jacqueline Litzgus, and David Lesbarrères (as Collaborators). 2014-2016
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Insight Development Grant, PI with Albrecht Schulte-Hostedde and Paul Hansen (as Co-Investigators), and with Brett Buchanan, Jacqueline Litzgus, and David Lesbarrères (as Collaborators). 2014-2016
- Laurentian University SSHRC Support Support Grant, 2014-2015
- SSHRC Aid to Small Universities Grant, PI, with Brett Buchanan, Albrecht Schulte-Hostedde, Jacqueline Litzgus, and David Lesbarrères as Co-Investigators. 2014-2017
- SSHRC Connections Grant, Co-Investigator with Brett Buchanan (as PI) and Albrecht Schulte-Hostedde (as Collaborator), 2013-2014
- Canadian Institutes for Health Resarch (CIHR) Café Scientifique Grant, 2013-2014
- Laurentian University SSHRC Support Support Grant, 2013-2014
- Canada Research Chair (Tier 2), 2011-2016
- CIHR Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2007-2009
- "Towards improving the ethics of ecological research," (with Albrecht Schulte-Hostedde) Science and Engineering Ethics (forthcoming)
- "The ethics of wildlife disease management," (with Albrecht Schulte-Hostedde) Evolutionary Applications (2014, forthcoming).
- "At the intersections of emotional and biological labor: Understanding transnational reproductive travel and surrogacy as social reproduction," (with Jennifer L. Johnson and Christopher M. Hajzler) International Journal of Feminist Approaches to Bioethics 7(2). (2014, forthcoming).
- Co-organizer, Thinking Extinction: Symposium on Philosophy and Biology of Endangered Species and Biodiversity Conservation. (with Brett Buchanan, Albrecht Schulte-Hostedde, and Jacqueline Litzgus) Laurentian University, Nov.14-16, 2013. http://thinkingextinction.com/
- "The ethics of moral compromise for stem cell research policy," (with Zubin Master) Health Care Analysis 20(1): 781-801. (2013)
- "A formal investigation of Cultural Selection Theory: Acoustic adaptation in bird song," Biology and Philosophy 25: 781-801. (2010)
- "Market stimulus and genomic justice: Evaluating the effects of market access to human germ-line enhancement," (with Christopher M. Hajzler) Kennedy Institute of Ethics Journal 20(2): 161-179. (2010)
- "Reconsidering Cultural Selection Theory," British Journal for the Philosophy of Science 59(3) 455-479. (2008)