Dr Long worked at GSC/ISPG Calgary before arriving at Laurentian in 1981. He has worked extensively on problems in applied sedimentology of coal, carbonates, clastics, placer gold and diamonds, uranium and industrial minerals, as well as regional tectonics and basin analysis.
- B.Sc (hons) Geology, Leicester University, UK.
- M.Sc. Geology, University of Western Ontario, ON,
- Ph.D. Geology, University of Western Ontario, ON,
On The Web
Precambrian and Phanerozoic clastic and carbonate sedimentology, architecture and basin analysis.
- 2011 Douglas Medal, Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists
- Long, D.G.F., 2019. Archean fluvial deposits: A review. Earth-Science Reviews 188: 148-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2018.11.009
- Lingli Zhou, Cora A. McKenna, Darrel G.F. Long and Balz S. Kamber. 2017. LA-ICP-MS elemental mapping of pyrite: An application to the Palaeoproterozoic atmosphere. Precambrian Research 297: 33–55. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.precamres.2017.05.008
- Davies, N.S., Gibling, M.R., McMahon, W.J., Slater, B.J., Long, D.G.F., Bashforth, A.R., Berry, C.M., Falcon-Lang, H.J., Gupta, S., Michael C. M.C., and Wellman, C.H., 2017. Discussion on ‘Tectonic and environmental controls on Palaeozoic fluvial environments: reassessing the impacts of early land plants on sedimentation’. Journal of the Geological Society 174, 947-950. https://doi.org/10.1144/jgs2017-004. Supplementary material at https://doi.org/ 10.6084/m9.figshare.c.371989.
- Long, D.G.F., 2017. Evidence of flash floods in Precambrian gravel dominated ephemeral river deposits. Sedimentary Geology 347, 53–6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sedgeo.2016.11.006
- Long, D.G.F., 2016. Provenance of chert rudites and arenites in the northern Canadian Cordillera. Chapter 12, In R. Majunder (ed.), Sediment Provenance: Influences on Compositional Change from Source to Sink. Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands. p. 297- 324 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-803386-9.00012-5
- Turner, E.C., Long, D.G.F., Rainbird, R.H., Joseph A. Petrus, J.A., and Nicole M. Rayner, N.M., 2016. A late Mesoproterozoic impactogen (impactor basin) associated with zinc mineralization during Rodinia amalgamation, Arctic Canada. Terra Nova, 28: 188–194. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ter.12207
- Colpron, M., Crowley, J.L., Gehrels, G., Long, D.G.F., Murphy, D.C., Beranek, L., and Bickerton, L., 2015. Birth of the northern Cordilleran orogen, as recorded by detrital zircons in Jurassic synorogenic strata and regional exhumation in Yukon. Lithospere , vol.7, p. 541-562. GSA Data Repository Item 2015263.v
- Julig, P., and Long, D.G.F. 2013. Spanish River Lithic Cache, Sudbury Region of Ontario. Ontario Archaeology, 93: 32-51.
- Eriksson, P.G., Banerjee, S., Catuneanu, O., Corcoran, P.L., Eriksson, K.A., Hiatt, E.E., Laflamme, M., Lenhardt, N., Long, D.G.F., Miall, A.D., Mints, M.V., Pufahl, P.K., Sarkar, S., Simpson, E.L., Williams, G.E., 2013. Secular changes in sedimentation systems and sequence stratigraphy. Gondwana Research 24 (2): 468-489. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gr.2012.09.008
- LONG, D.G.F., and Turner, E.C., 2012 Tectonic, sedimentary and metallogenic re-evaluation of basal strata in the Mesoproterozoic Bylot basins, Nunavut, Canada: Are unconformity-type uranium concentrations a realistic expectation? Precambrian Research 192-209.
- LONG, D.G.F., and Lowey, G.W., 2011. Wandering gravel-bed rivers and high-constructive stable channel sandy fluvial systems in the Ross River area, Yukon Territory, Canada. Geoscience Frontiers, 2 (3): 277-288.
- LONG, D.G.F., 2011. Architecture and depositional style of fluvial systems before land plants: a comparison of Precambrian, early Paleozoic and modern river deposits. In S.K. Davidson, S. Leleu, and C.P. North (Eds.), From river to rock record: the preservation of fluvial sediments and their subsequent interpretation. SEPM Special Publication 97: 37-61.
- Ulrich, T., LONG, D.G.F., Kamber, B.S., and Whitehouse, M.J., 2011. In-situ trace element and sulphur isotope analysis of pyrite in a Paleoproterozoic gold placer deposit, Pardo and Clement Townships, Ontario, Canada. Economic Geology 106: 667-686.
- LONG, D.G.F., Ulrich, T., and Kamber, B.S., 2011. Laterally extensive modified placer gold deposits in the Paleoproterozoic Mississagi Formation, Clement and Pardo Townships, Ontario. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 48: 779-792.