Barbara Ravel, Ph.D., joined the School of Human Kinetics at Laurentian University in 2008 as an Assistant Professor. She received her Ph.D. and M.Sc. in Human Kinetics from Université de Montréal, after a Master's and an undergraduate degree in Psychology from France. Her areas of expertise are Sport Psychology and the Sociology of Sport. Her interests include the psychological factors involved in athletic performance as well as gender and sexuality issues in sport.
Ph.D. Human Kinetics - Université de Montréal
M.Sc. Human Kinetics - Université de Montréal
Master's Degree Psychology - Université Lyon 2 Lumière (France)
Bachelor's Degree Psychology - Université Lyon 2 Lumière (France)
Associate Professor, School of Human Kinetics, Laurentian University, 2015-Present
Assistant Professor, School of Human Kinetics, Laurentian University, 2008-2015
Sociology of sport
Women in sport
Gender and sexuality
Non-conventional genders and sexualities
Sport and media
Feminist, poststructuralist and queer theories
- Barbara A. Brown Outstanding Student Paper Award, North American Society for the Sociology of Sport (2006)
EDPH 1106 - Kinésie humaine
EDPH 3406 - Entrainement mental
EDPH 4216 - Psychologie du sport
EDPH 4217 - Sociologie du sport
EDPH 3009 - Stage 1
Academic Book Chapters
- Ravel, B. (2013). Queering sport one team at a time. In R.J. Schinke & R. Lidor (Eds.), Case Studies in Sport Development: Contemporary Stories Promoting Health, Peace, and Social Justice (pp. 47-57). Morgantown, VW: Fitness Information Technology.
- Ravel, B. (2012). Making space for gay sport participants. In R.J. Schinke & S.J. Hanrahan (Eds.), Sport for Development, Peace, and Social Justice (pp. 105-119). Morgantown, WV: Fitness Information Technology.
- Ravel, B., & Rail, G. (2010). Strong women, fragile closets: The queering of women's sport. In S. Spickard Prettyman & B. Lampman (Eds.), Learning culture through sports: Perspectives on society and organized sports (pp. 251-259). New York: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Ravel, B., & Gareau, M. (2014). "French football needs more women like Adriana"? Examining the media coverage of France's women's national football team for the 2011 World Cup and the 2012 Olympic Games. International Review for the Sociology of Sport, DOI: 10.1177/1012690214556912.
- Lajeunesse, M., Ménard, F., Ravel, B., St-Louis, J., Klaassen, R., Blanchette, V., & Young, N. (2014). "That's life" (with hemophilia): A qualitative analysis of young men's experiences of change. Haemophilia, 20 (Suppl. 3), 64. DOI: 10.1111/hae.12400/abstract.
- Ravel, B. (2010). Le sport comme espace favorable à l'expression de sexualités non traditionnelles : Le cas de différents sports d'équipe féminins au Québec. Recherches Féministes, 23, 109-125.
- Ravel, B. (2012). Broomball. In J. Nauright & C. Parrish (Eds.), Sports around the World: History, Culture, and Practice. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Ravel, B. (2012). Ringette. In J. Nauright & C. Parrish (Eds.), Sports around the World: History, Culture, and Practice. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.
- Ravel, B. (2012). Sexuality and Sport, North America. In J. Nauright & C. Parrish (Eds.), Sports around the World: History, Culture, and Practice. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO.