07/2015-present, Associate Professor, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Canada
7/2012-06/2015, Research Associate Professor, School of Kinesiology, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Canada
3/2007-06/2012, Research Assistant Professor, School of Kinesiology, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Canada
9/2006-2/2007, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biology, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Canada
10/2002-9/2006, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
PhD, Zhejiang University and Institute of Genetics and Development, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
MSc, Shanxi Agricultural University, China
Bachelor, Shanxi Agricultural University, China
Adjunct Professor, School of Kinesiology, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Canada
On The Web
I have a strong interest in gasotransmitter, biomolecular science, and signal transduction research. There are three areas of on-going research programs and interests, including: 1) Biological significance of H2S-mediated protein translational modification; 2) Roles of H2S in cell differentiation and organ development; 3) Regulation and function of H2S in vascular diseases, cancers and aging. Multiple techniques are used in my research, including cell isolation and culture, gene cloning, protein purification and modification, western blotting, imaging, histology, immunoprecipitation, gene knockin or knockout, real-time PCR, animal model establishment, and genotyping etc.
One PhD student position available immediately!
I am looking for one one PhD student to work on the role of gasotransmitters (hydrogen sulfide and nitric oxide) in cardiovascular system and aging development. The candidates with a strong background of molecular biology and biochemistry would be a definite asset. Applicants should email the CV and names of three references to Dr. Guangdong Yang (email@example.com).
CHMI-5236EL-Molecular Biology of Eukaryotes (2016 winter and 2017 winter)
CHMI-5246EL-Selected Topics - Biochemistry (2016 winter and fall)
CHMI-4256EL-Biochemistry of Diseases (2016 fall)
CHMI-4207EL-Advanced Cellular Biochemistry (2017 winter)
- New Investigator Award ($300,000), Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (2009-2014)
- Maureen Andrew New Investigator Award ($10,000), Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario (2009-2010)
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Research Fellowship ($90,000, 2006-2007)
- Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation Post-Doctoral Fellowship ($80,000, 2004-2005)
Selective Publications (*, corresponding author)
1) Ju Y, Wu L, Yang G*. Thioredoxin 1 regulation of protein S-desulfhydration. Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports. 2016, 5:27-34.
2) Ju Y, Untereiner A, Wu L, Yang G*. H2S-induced S-sulfhydration of pyruvate carboxylase contributes to gluconeogenesis in liver cells. BBA - General Subjects. 2015, 1850:2293-303.
3) Li S, Yang G*. H2S regulation of DNA methylation and mitochondrial DNA copy number. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2015, 23:630-42.
4) Zhao K, Li S, Wu L, Lai C, Yang G*. H2S represses androgen receptor transactivation by targeting at the second zinc-finger module. J. Biol. Chem. 2014, 289:20824-35.
5) Zhao K, Ju Y, Li S, Zaid Al Taany, R Wang, Yang G*. Mediation of PARP and MEK1 in H2S-protected DNA damage repair response. EMBO report. 2014, 15:792-800.
6) Yang G*, Zhao K, Ju Y, Mani S, Cao Q, Puukila S, Khaper N, Wu L, Wang R. Hydrogen sulfide protects against cellular senescence via S-sulfhydration of Keap1 and activation of Nrf2. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2013, 18:1906-19.
7) Teng H, Wu B, Zhao K, Yang G, Wu L, Wang R. Oxygen-sensitive mitochondrial accumulation of cystathionine beta-synthase mediated by Lon protease. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013, 110:12679-84.
8) Yang G*, Li H, Tang G, Wu L, Zhao K, Cao Q, Xu C, Wang R. Increased neointimal formation in cystathionine gamma-lyase deficient mice: role of hydrogen sulfide in alpha5beta1-integrin and matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression in smooth muscle cells. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2012, 52:677-88.
9) Fu M, Zhang W, Wu L, Yang G, Wang R. H2S metabolism in mitochondria and its regulatory role in energy production. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012, 109:2943-8.
10) Yang G*, Pei Y, Cao Q, Wang R. MicroRNA-21 regulates cystathionine gamma-lyase expression in smooth muscle cells by targeting at specificity protein-1. J Cell Physiol 2012, 227:3192-200.
11) Pei Y, Wu B, Cao Q, Wu L, Yang G*. H2S mediates the anti-survival role of sulforaphane on human prostate cancer cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2011, 257:420-8.
12) Yang G*, Pei Y, Teng H, Cao Q, Wang R. Specificity protein-1 as a critical regulator of human cystathionine gamma-lyase expression during smooth muscle cell differentiation. J. Biol. Chem. 2011, 286:26450-60.
13) Yang G, Wu L, Jiang B, Yang W, Qi J, Cao K, Meng Q, Mustafa AK, Mu W, Zhang S, Snyder SH, Wang R. H2S as a physiologic vasorelaxant: hypertension in mice with deletion of cystathionine gamma-lyase. Science. 2008, 322:587-90.
Please see the full publication list from Google scholar: http://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=iyRAPdgAAAAJ&hl=en