07/2015-present, Associate Professor, Laurentian University, Sudbury, Canada
7/2012-06/2015, Research Associate Professor, School of Kinesiology, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Canada
3/2007-06/2012, Research Assistant Professor, School of Kinesiology, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Canada
9/2006-2/2007, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biology, Lakehead University, Thunder Bay, Canada
10/2002-9/2006, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
On The Web
I have a strong interest in gasotransmitter, biomolecular science, and signal transduction research. There are three areas of on-going research programs and interests funded by NSERC and HSFC, including: 1) Biological significance of H2S-mediated protein translational modification; 2) Roles of H2S in cell differentiation and organ development; 3) Regulation and function of H2S in vascular diseases, cancers and aging.
- New Investigator Award, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (2009-2014)
- Maureen Andrew New Investigator Award from Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario (2009), given to the highest rated Ontario New Investigator in the national competition who clearly demonstrates excellence in the area of cardiovascular or cerebrovascular research.
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Research Fellowship (2006-2007)
- Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation Post-Doctoral Fellowship (2004-2005)
CHMI-5236EL-Molecular Biology of Eukaryotes (2016 winter, 2017 winter)
CHMI-5246EL-Selected Topics - Biochemistry (2016 winter, 2016 fall, 2018 fall)
CHMI-4615EL-Research Seminar (2018 fall/2019 winter/coordinator)
CHMI-4446EL- Drug Design and Development (2020 winter/group teaching)
CHMI-4256EL-Biochemistry of Diseases (2016 fall, 2017 fall, 2018 fall, 2020 winter)
CHMI-4207EL-Advanced Cellular Biochemistry (2017 winter, 2018 winter)
CHMI-3227EL/FL-Experimenal Biochemistry (2018 winter, 2019 winter, 2020 winter)
CHMI-2220EL-10 Clinical Chemistry (2020 Spring/online)
Selective publications since 2012 (*, corresponding author)
- Yang G. H2S as a potential defence against COVID-19? Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2020 Jun 9. Online ahead of print.
- Ali A, Zhang Y, Fu M, Pei Y, Wu L, Wang R, Yang G*. Cystathionine gamma-lyase/H2S system suppresses hepatic acetyl-CoA accumulation and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in mice. Life Sci. 2020, 252:117661.
- Zhang Y, Wang Y, Read E, Fu M, Pei Y, Wu L, Wang R, Yang G*. Golgi stress respone, H2S metabolism, and intracellular calcium homeostasis. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2020, 32:583-601.
- Greasley A, Zhang Y, Wu B, Pei Y, Belzile N, Yang G*. H2S protects against cardiac cell hypertrophy through regulation of selenoproteins. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2019, 10:6494306.
- Zhang Y, Ali A, Jin Z, Pei Y, Yang G*. Induction of cystathionine gamma-lyase expression and metallothionein-1 S-sulfhydration alleviate cadmium-induced cell death in myoblast cells. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2019, 179:222-231.
- Stokes E, Shuang T, Zhang Y, Pei Y, Fu M, Guo B, Parissenti A, Wu L, Wang R, Yang G*. Efflux inhibition by H2S confers sensitivity to doxorubicin-induced cell death in liver cancer cells. Life Sci. 2018, 213:116-125.
- Loiselle JJ, Yang G*, Wu L*. Hydrogen sulfide and hepatic lipid metabolism – a critical pairing for liver health. 2018, 177:757-768.
- Racine M, Shuang T, Zhang Y, Fu M, Pei Y, Wu L, Wang R, Yang G*. Reversal of Sp1 transactivation and TGF<beta>1/SMAD1 signaling by H2S prevent nickel-induced fibroblast activation. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2018,356:25-35.
- Yang G*, Ju Y, Fu M, Thomas M, Racine M, Batth S, Pei Y, Wang R, Wu L*. Cystathionine gamma-lyase/H2S system is essential for adipogenesis and fat mass formation in mice. BBA Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids. 2017,1863:165-176.
- Bourque C, Zhang Y, Fu M, Racine M, Greasley A, Pei Y, Wu L, Wang R, Yang G*. H2S protects lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation by blocking NFκB transactivation in endothelial cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017,338:20-29.
- Ju Y, Untereiner A, Wu L, Yang G*. H2S-induced S-sulfhydration of pyruvate carboxylase contributes to gluconeogenesis in liver cells. BBA - General Subjects. 2015, 1850:2293-303.
- Li S, Yang G*. H2S regulation of DNA methylation and mitochondrial DNA copy number. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2015, 23:630-42.
- Zhao K, Li S, Wu L, Lai C, Yang G*. H2S represses androgen receptor transactivation by targeting at the second zinc-finger module. J. Biol. Chem. 2014, 289:20824-35.
- Zhao K, Ju Y, Li S, Zaid Al Taany, Wang R*, Yang G*. Mediation of PARP and MEK1 in H2S-protected DNA damage repair response. EMBO report. 2014, 15:792-800.
- Yang G*, Zhao K, Ju Y, Mani S, Cao Q, Puukila S, Khaper N, Wu L, Wang R*. Hydrogen sulfide protects against cellular senescence via S-sulfhydration of Keap1 and activation of Nrf2. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 2013, 18:1906-19.
- Yang G*, Li H, Tang G, Wu L, Zhao K, Cao Q, Xu C, Wang R*. Increased neointimal formation in cystathionine gamma-lyase deficient mice: role of hydrogen sulfide in alpha5beta1-integrin and matrix metalloproteinase-2 expression in smooth muscle cells. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2012, 52:677-88.
- Yang G*, Pei Y, Cao Q, Wang R*. MicroRNA-21 regulates cystathionine gamma-lyase expression in smooth muscle cells by targeting at specificity protein-1. J Cell Physiol 2012, 227:3192-200.
Please see the full publication list from Google scholar: http://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=iyRAPdgAAAAJ&hl=en