Become a First-Year Coach to new Laurentian students!
Term: January to mid-September
The Office of Transitions and Engagement at the Centre for Academic Excellence is looking for volunteers to act as a First-Year Coach to new Laurentian students.
Wherever you call home during the summer months, you’ll be communicating with a small group of new students from your program or faculty to help them navigate the start of their post-secondary journey at Laurentian. Invite them to Welcome Week activities, support their questions and share your experience!
To participate in this program, please complete the application form below. We’ll reach out to you to confirm your application and provide a timeline as to when you can expect to get started.
Thanks to our First-year Coach program, Mikehla was able to quickly adjust to university life.
- Receive specialized training
- Be available by email and other channels to a group of new students from June to November
- Follow-up with your group of new students to provide ongoing support and resources
- Encourage participation at Orientation activities
- Accompany your group of students Welcome Week activities
What we’re looking for:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in your language
- Completed two terms of studies at Laurentian University
- Able to build positive, collaborative relationships
- Knowledge of the campus, it’s services and resources
- Self-motivation and able to work independently
- Problem-solving skills and high level of professionalism
- Able to commit a few hours a week to the communication of your students
What you get out from this experience:
- Leadership training and experience
- Communication training and experience
- A stronger connection with Laurentian
- The opportunity to support a new student at Laurentian
- Access to activities during our Welcome Week
- Appreciation lunch in November