Promotion and Communications Coordinator, Harquail School of Earth Sciences This 9-month, grant funded position is designated as one that may require a different work week and/or hours of work, including travel to conferences and meetings.
Reporting to the Dean of Science, Engineering & Architecture, working in the Harquail School of Earth Sciences, the Promotion and Communications Coordinator will:
- anticipate, plan and elaborate marketing initiatives which support and enhance global branding and recruitment efforts for the Harquail School of Earth Sciences (HES) and its Mineral Exploration Research Centre (MERC);
- coordinate day-to-day production and communication requirements of the Harquail School: coordinate content flow, translations, photos, visuals, ad specs, deadlines and the like;
- coordinate communication efforts with the MERC Board and Metal Earth / MERC stakeholders;
- liaise with students, faculty, researchers and partners to develop promotional and advertising content;
- coordinate with collaborative units in the Faculty of Science, Engineering & Architecture to develop promotional and advertising content;
- strategize and support marketing needs as required;
- coordinate marketing efforts with Laurentian University Director of Marketing and Chief Advancement Officer;
- assist with RFQ and RFP proposals (relating to HES, MERC, and the Metal Earth research project) and alignment of requirements with the suppliers;
- develop content and copy in both English and French for promotional materials, including ads, brochures, display materials, program calendars, websites, mobile applications, etc.
- assist with the coordination of photo shoots: locations, props, bookings, follow-ups, contact info, etc.;
- assist with inventory of photographic and video materials: sorting, labeling, cross-referencing, mailouts, filing of releases;
- support and participate in the elaboration of special events, marketing and advancement initiatives, including strategy development, bookings, ordering, set-ups and participation, as required;
- establish and maintain databases which are relevant to promotion of HES units;
- support creation of materials requested by the University Advancement office as it relates to the stewardship of donors to the Harquail School of Earth Sciences and cultivation of future donors;
- perform other duties directly related to this position as assigned.
- A university degree in a related field is required (public relations, communications, science communication or related);
- Communicate effectively with external stakeholders (including but not limited to private industry executives)
- clear, professional-level writing and copy-editing skills in French and in English;
- four to five years of related work experience preferred;
- extensive knowledge of, and experience in a production environment;
- extensive experience working in MS-Office Suite and general experience with graphics production software (e.g. Adobe software) is required;
- experience with and knowledge of pagination, layout and design concepts;
- ability to multi-task, to work under pressure, and to meet multiple daily deadlines;
- strong interpersonal skills to liaise with internal and external clients, partners, researchers, faculty, students, suppliers, and personnel;
- tact, diplomacy, creativity, initiative and sound judgment;
- fluent in both official languages, French and English.
- Ability to travel to conferences and special events and meetings
Position to remain open until filled