Academic and Francophone Affairs
The Francophone Programs and Affairs division promotes outreach and development of Laurentian University’s Francophonie at the institution and beyond, through countless partnerships in the provincial and national postsecondary sector, and regional and provincial associative community. Francophone Programs and Affairs bring together three administrative units: the Office of the Associate Vice-President, the Office of Francophone Affairs (OFA) and the Consortium national de formation en santé (CNFS) at Laurentian University.
The Office of the Associate Vice-President, Academic and Francophone Affairs plays a leadership role in promoting, developing and implementing programs and policies that aim to reinforce the Francophone presence at Laurentian University. The office also works to advance and launch academic programs aiming to meet the goals of the Francophone and Francophile community served by the University all the while striving for excellence in existing French-language programs. Moreover, the office is responsible for implementing the University’s Policy on Bilingualism and its designation under the French-Language Services Act.
Office of Francophone Affairs
The Office of Francophone Affairs (OFA) is the administrative body at Laurentian University in charge of implementing the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities’ Language Planning Policy (PAL – Politique d’aménagement linguistique). With the financial support of its government partners and the University, the OFA participates in increasing the Francophone space in the University and broader communities while helping to achieve objectives set out in Laurentian’s 2012-2017 Strategic Plan.
Main responsibilities of the OFA
- implementation of the MTCU’s postsecondary PAL;
- positioning Laurentian University’s French-language programs with the 12 Francophone school boards in Ontario;
- provincial and national postsecondary articulation agreements;
- mobility of students enrolled in French-language academic programs;
- regional, provincial, national and international collaborations and partnerships;
- faculty outreach;
- awareness of international Francophone clientele;
- supervision of FSL and ESL programs for designated bilingual positions;
- support various internal committees and organizing committees for Francophone events;
- writing grant proposals and communication and marketing tools;
- advice to Laurentian University senior administrators regarding issues affecting the Francophonie;
- assistance to reach Francophone objectives set out in the strategic plan: support for French-language programs, renewal and implementation of a new certificate of bilingualism and strengthening of Laurentian University’s position as a destination of choice for French immersion and Francophone students from all over Canada and Francophone countries from around the world.
Consortium national de formation en santé
Laurentian University is one of the Canadian postsecondary educational institutions forming the Consortium national de formation en santé (CNFS). The objective of CNFS is to improve access to French-language education in various health disciplines and to contribute to the development of research on the health of minority Francophone communities.
The goal of this strategic alliance is to reinforce the presence and influence of Francophone health professionals and researchers to fully meet the needs – in French – of minority Francophone communities. Financially supported by Health Canada, the CNFS participates in a significant way in the well-being and development of these communities.
CNFS – Laurentian University: Main responsibilities
In the area of health, in French, the CNFS supports:
- provision of primary health programs;
- development and delivery of online and distance education courses;
- organizing continuing education activities;
- program promotion and recruitment;
- assistance with research initiatives;
- students via scholarships;
- clinical training of students on placement;
- opportunities for research assistance.
- CNFS – Laurentian University
- CNFS – National Secretariat
- Boîtes à outil pour l'offre active
- Portail de la recherche sur la francophonie canadienne