You are now in the main content area

All FAQs


View all other FAQs below this section:


VaccinationStudents | Accessibility | Interational Students | Research & Graduate Studies | Residence | Library | IT

Frequently Asked Questions

Laurentian’s Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination (the “Policy”) was recently shared with the Laurentian University Community. Through the FAQs below we have attempted to provide more information on how the Policy will be implemented. The FAQs will be updated regularly so please keep checking back.

How will I know if I am a close contact of a COVID-19 positive case?


What is Laurentian’s policy on vaccination?

Laurentian’s Policy on COVID-19 took effect on September 7, 2021. Effective October 15, 2021 individuals who wish to enter the University campus, and are eligible to be vaccinated, must provide the University proof that they are 1) Fully Vaccinated against COVID-19, or 2) have a permitted exemption and a negative rapid COVID-19 test at a frequency required by the University.


Why is vaccination required?

On August 17, 2021, the Ontario Provincial Government mandated Universities to implement a vaccination policy. 

On August 24th, 2021 the Council of Ontario Medical Officers of Health (COMOH), which represents all 34 public health units across the Province, issued a strong recommendation to all post-secondary institutions in Ontario, requiring mandatory vaccination against COVID-19, that required proof of vaccination status, for all individuals (students, staff, faculty, contractors, and visitors) entering campus. Laurentian University is legally required to follow the recommendations of the Ontario Medical Officers of Health. 

In addition, on August 30, 2021 the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health mandated Universities to  
“establish a COVID-19 vaccination policy by no later than September 7, 2021 and implement it by no later than September 7, 2021”.


What does “fully vaccinated” mean? 

Fully Vaccinated, means having received the completed series of an Accepted Vaccine (vaccine that has been approved for use by Health Canada and/or complete vaccine series of those listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization). An individual is considered fully vaccinated 14 days after receiving their completed dose of an Accepted Vaccine or as may be otherwise accepted by the University based on advice, recommendations, and guidance from public health authorities.


What if I am not Fully Vaccinated, can I still come to campus?

Individuals who wish to enter the University campus must be Fully Vaccinated against COVID-19, or have a permitted exemption and a negative rapid COVID-19 test (at a frequency required by the University).


Where can I get more information on COVID-19 vaccines?

You can get more information on COVID-19 vaccines by visiting Ontario’s COVID-19 vaccine safety website and the Government of Canada’s facts about COVID-19 vaccines website.


How can I get a COVID-19 vaccine?

Laurentian University will be offering COVID-19 vaccination for students, staff, faculty on Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m to 4:30 p.m in room G-23 (by appointment only) and also by appointment at other times. 


Can I request an exemption from mandatory COVID-19 vaccination to come on campus?

An individual may apply for an exemption from being Fully Vaccinated if the individual has an underlying medical condition which inhibits their ability to be Fully Vaccinated or claims a protected ground under the Ontario Human Rights Code. Forms to request an exemption can be found at:


Medical Exemptions: 
Medical exemptions are guided by the Ministry of Health.  The exemption guidance as of January 12, 2022 can be found here: Medical Exemptions to COVID-19 Vaccination


How do I provide proof of my vaccination status 

Students, faculty and staff attest to their vaccination status through a secure process linked to the myLaurentian portal. 


Where can I find my vaccination records?

If you received your vaccine in Ontario you can visit this site to download your vaccination receipts. You will need your health card number to download your record.


Do I still need to wear a mask indoors after I am fully vaccinated?

Yes, wearing a mask indoors remains a requirement for all individuals. 

For more information:
Laurentian University Face Covering Policy


What are the requirements for International Students?

International students must follow all Government of Canada regulations as well as Laurentian University's International Readiness Plans for arrivals as approved by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU), the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). International students with questions should contact the International Office.


What are the requirements for student placements?

Students taking part in clinical or practical placements will receive further information on any specific requirements that must be satisfied for their placement (i.e. any additional requirements imposed or required by a partner organization). 


Where can I direct other questions?

For questions regarding the vaccine requirement or other COVID-19 protocols, please contact or visit our FAQ page.

Our priority is to keep you health and safe. This document will be updated as the situation evolves. Last updated: January 14, 2022.

This page includes information for current and prospective students about what to expect in the academic year. This information will be updated regularly to reflect the changing conditions of the pandemic in the months ahead, as well as the evolution of public health measures.


Vaccination Requirement

Individuals who wish to enter the University campus, and are eligible to be vaccinated, must provide the University proof that they are Fully Vaccinated against COVID-19, or have a permitted exemption and a negative rapid COVID-19 test in the last 72-hours.

For more information on the Policy refer to the FAQs on the Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination. 

Vaccination against COVID-19 is the single most effective public health measure to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Vaccines are safe, effective and the best way to protect you and those around you from COVID-19. Laurentian University will be offering COVID-19 vaccination for students, staff, faculty on Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m to 4:30 p.m in room G-23 (by appointment only)

You can also learn about other opportunities to get vaccinated here: 


Accessing Campus

Students must comply with Laurentian’s Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination and follow other health and safety measures to enter campus.  Please note the following: 

  • Comply with Laurentian’s Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination

  • Complete the COVID-19 Screening Self-Assessment questionnaire (available on our website and also on the SecurLU-UL APP)

  • Read Laurentian’s Policy on Face Covering and be aware that masks must be worn when in classrooms and in any other public areas (View the Face covering policy).

  • Stay home and do not come to campus if you are feeling unwell or have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19

Any student who has been on campus and is experiencing symptoms potentially linked to COVID-19 is asked to report.   Please refer to Procedures for Students Reporting Illness for more information.


Heath and Safety Measures

The University is committed to provide and maintain healthy and safe working and learning environments for all students, employees, volunteers, visitors and stakeholders. This is achieved by observing best practices which meet or exceed the standards to comply with legislative requirements. 



Student Experience and Student Services

  • Laurentian is planning to offer a number of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, with health and safety guidelines in place, as needed. Online options will also be offered for some activities.

  • Some services, such as student health and mental health services, student accommodation services, and academic advising can be accessed in person or online. This includes the option for remote meetings with counsellors and advisors. 



  • On-campus student residences are available. Laurentian will facilitate isolation for residence students if/when it becomes necessary.
  • To ensure the health and safety of all students living in residence, some additional rules may be in place.
  • Minimal dining facilities are open and operational, with some additional safety and public health measures in place.


Ben Avery Physical Education Centre

  • Laurentian have athletics and recreation facilities available to students, staff and faculty, with the exception of the pool, which will remain closed until further notice.
  • Student programming, such as intramurals and fitness classes, will be available as well.
  • Laurentian Voyageur Athletics are following Ontario University Athletics and provincial sport guidelines along with local public health.


Social Gatherings

We recognize that part of the university experience is to gather with friends and other students. If you are planning social activities we encourage you to wear a mask, maintain physical distancing of 3m, practice good hand hygiene, keep your groups small, and isolate if you are sick. The Laurentian University campus offers ample opportunities for socializing in outdoor locations, including our expansive trail system and campus beach.

We are continuing to monitor the situation and will update accordingly. Last updated: January 14, 2022.

International students should prepare to be in Sudbury by the January 2022 Winter term. Students must have valid documentation to travel to Canada and ensure that they carry proof of current term registration in order to enter the country. Those without current term registration should only enter Canada 30 days prior to the beginning of their studies.

Please ensure you have read and understood the items below:
New testing requirements for entering Canada by land and air 
Latest accommodation and quarantine measures


Q: I have a study permit/visa, can I attend January 2022W and May 2022SP term classes online from outside Canada, without affecting my immigration status or Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) eligibility?

A: Yes, attending online courses from outside Canada, from the spring 2020 up until August 31, 2022, will not affect post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility because IRCC has made temporary changes to PGWP eligibility.

On campus in-person course delivery for the winter terms have been moved to t online/remote  temporarily due to COVID 19. The timetable will allow most students to return to campus for at least part of their courses.

  • Check to see if there’s an online version of the course being offered or if there are other online courses you may be interested in.
  • Depending on your program, you may need to speak to an academic advisor or program coordinator.
  • If you take courses online, consider taking enough courses to be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).
  • For immigration purposes, undergraduate students must maintain full-time enrolment by being registered in 9 credits per semester or a total of 18 credits in two semesters. Graduate students are considered to have full-time enrolment if their course load intent is full-time. 
  • To maintain eligibility for a PGWP you must study full-time, even if you are outside of Canada. Online courses completed outside Canada can count towards the length of a PGWP until August 31, 2022, if you meet the eligibility requirements.


Q: I don’t have a study permit/visa, can I start courses online/remotely without a study permit/visa?

A: In general, a study permit/visa is not required for online courses from outside Canada.
However, studying without a study permit/letter of introduction, could affect your eligibility for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP), after graduation.


Q: Will online courses affect my Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Eligibility?

Students in Canada will not have their PGWP eligibility affected by taking online courses due to shifts in the course delivery method due to COVID-19, or if they were forced to drop the term or become part-time students in the Winter/Spring/Summer 2020 terms. As of the fall 2020 semester, you must be studying full-time to be eligible.
Students outside Canada are also eligible for PGWP until August 31, 2022 if:

  • they have a valid study permit or a study permit application that is submitted/in process or has been approved.
  • they are in a PGWP eligible program that was in progress during March 2020 OR
  • a PGWP eligible program that started between Spring 2020 and December 2021
  • they complete 100% of studies online prior to August 31, 2022.

Disclaimer: It is recommended that students contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or an IIRSS immigration advisor to review their specific case. Canadian immigration regulations, policies, and procedures may change without notice. For the most current information, please visit the IRCC Website. For appointments with an IIRSS immigration advisor contact  – Revised December 8, 2021.


Q: Does Laurentian University offer employment or other income opportunities for international students?

A: Laurentian offers students an opportunity to work part-time or full-time on campus, in jobs that accommodate their studies. Laurentian employs approximately 1,000 students per year in various positions across campus including food services, recreation, office administration, and more. For more information, visit
You may be eligible to work off-campus while studying, if your study permit includes a condition that says you can work on or off-campus. You must also meet all the other requirements. You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. You can’t work before your studies begin. For more information, visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.


Q: What about health insurance?

A: University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) UHIP is the mandatory and affordable health insurance plan for international students studying at Ontario Universities. The cost is $63 per month or $756 from September 1st to August 31st*. This health insurance plan can begin as early as the 10th day of the month prior to the beginning of your classes. For example, if you are beginning your studies in September, UHIP can start no earlier than August 10th. This insurance plan offers coverage for prescription medication, dental care, vision care as well as other professional services such as physiotherapy. Our office will be enrolling students during Orientation Month. Please contact our office at if you have any questions

  •  To find out more about UHIP coverage, visit 
  • You will automatically be enrolled in UHIP. Your UHIP card will be sent to you, by email, within the first two weeks of September. 
  • Any dependents (spouse and/or children) who will be living with you in Canada must also be enrolled. Students also have extended health insurance coverage offered through their student associations (AEF, SGA or GSA).


Q: How do I get vaccinated once I am In Canada?



Q: My vaccines are currently not approved by Health Canada. Am I able to stay in residence?

The University will recognize Health Canada-approved vaccines as well as vaccines on the World Health Organization’s Emergency Use Listing for students to stay in residences.


Q: I am an international student and cannot receive my first dose prior to move-in. Am I able to stay in residence?

Yes. International students who are unable to obtain their first dose upon move-in will have 7 days (following the end of their quarantine period) to obtain their first dose. Your second dose can be scheduled following the guidelines laid out by the Public Health Agency of Canada

As of January 15, 2022, certain groups of travellers, who are currently exempt from entry requirements, will only be allowed to enter the country if they are fully vaccinated with one of the vaccines approved for entry into Canada. Check here for more information. 


Q: I am a new student starting between May 2020 and August 2022. If my classes moved online due to COVID-19, can I start my program online from outside Canada? Will I be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit?

You can begin your program online starting between May 2020 and August 2022 from outside of Canada, even if your study permit application has not been processed yet, since you are not required to have a study permit for the purposes of studying online outside Canada.

However, if you intend to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) after you complete your studies, in order for your online courses completed outside of Canada to count towards the PGWP, you must have one of the following before your courses start:

  • You submitted your study permit application online before starting your program (see question above), and your study permit is approved in the future, or
  • You received a Letter of Introduction (study permit approval), or
  • You have a valid study permit

If you have one of the above, online courses completed outside of Canada before August 31, 2022 can count towards the length of your PGWP and you can complete up to 100% of your studies outside Canada. You do not need to wait for a study permit approval-in-principle for your studies to count towards the PGWP, but you must continue to meet the other PGWP requirements, such as maintaining full-time enrolment, even while outside of Canada.
If you began online studies before IRCC received your study permit application, your studies will only count towards the length of your PGWP after your application was received.

If you applied for a study permit before your program started but it was refused, your studies will count towards the PGWP starting from your first study permit application if you reapply for a study permit and IRCC receives your application before your program ends and it is later approved.

If you meet the above criteria and you are in a program which will end on or before August 31, 2022, you can now complete 100% of your program online outside of Canada and be eligible for the PGWP.

If your program will finish after August 31, 2022, online courses completed outside of Canada after August 31, 2022 will not count towards the length of your program for PGWP purposes. For programs undertaken and ongoing between March 2020 and August 31, 2022, you are not required to complete 50% of the program in Canada.


Q: May international students work while they are studying in Canada?

Yes, as an international student, you may work under any Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s work programs for students, if you meet certain eligibility requirements.

Learn more about studying and working in Canada as an international student. 


Q: May international students work off-campus without a work permit?

International students are allowed to work off-campus without a work permit for up to 20 hours a week during a regular academic session and full-time during regularly scheduled breaks, provided that:

  • you hold a valid study permit;
  • you are a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution;
  • the program in which you are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program;
  • the program of study is at least six months or more in duration and one that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate; and
  • you continue to fulfill the terms and conditions of your study permit, as well as the conditions to engage in off campus work (e.g., work no more than 20 hours a week during a regular academic session).

For more information, consult Off campus work for international students. 


Q: May international students work on-campus without a work permit?

As long as you have a valid study permit and are a full-time student enrolled at a post-secondary DLI (university, community college, publicly funded trade or technical school, or private institutions authorised by provincial statute to confer degrees) you may work on campus. The employer may be either the school or a private contractor operating on campus. You are permitted to work unlimited hours on-campus and up to 20 hours off-campus..
For more information, consult On-campus work for international students.


Q: If I am fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine and may be exempt from quarantine, do I still need to have a quarantine plan?

Yes. Please read and complete all steps under the “Important steps for registering to travel" section. Regardless of vaccination status, all international travellers are required to submit a quarantine plan via ArriveCAN. (Every traveller must have a quarantine plan in case it is determined they're required to quarantine.)

We are continuing to monitor the situation and will update accordingly. Last updated: September 14, 2021



Q: Now that we are back on campus do I still need to complete the Laurentian University Research Resumption Phased-In Return to On-Campus and Field Research Form to resume research activities? 

A: On-campus research activities can resume.  All individuals working in a research space must comply with Laurentian’s Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination and Policy on Face-Covering.  Masks must be worn indoors and physical distancing of 2m should be maintained.  Additional information on the health and safety requirements can be found here (

Approval is required for research activities that will occur outside the Greater Sudbury area. Requests can be made by completing this form

Q: As we transition back to campus, what are the mental health and wellness supports available to graduate students?

A: COVID-19 related restrictions can be difficult to process and have been disruptive to scholarship plans. As more students transition back to campus, supervisors are encouraged to check in with their highly qualified persons. The following supports are available to students: 

Students can access Laurentian University Counselling services by calling 1-800-461-4030 ext: 6506 or at 705-673-6506, or by email at

Additional counselling/crisis/support lines for students are listed on the Are You Ok web page:


Q: How can I work from home and access resources and systems from off campus?

The IT department has provided the following guidance, for any other questions please refer to this website for information or please use the IT portal to submit your questions or support requests. 

Our G Suite for Education, student portals, WebAdvisor, Zoom and D2L will continue to work when working remote. You will require the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) software in order to connect to business applications (U/T Drive, UIWeb, Business Objects, Synoptix, Fusion) at the University.

The VPN is available from the following website


Q: Can student groups continue to work in the Fielding Innovation Space? Can we continue to use the Makers Space?

A: The Fielding Innovation Space continues to offer programming in accordance with Laurentian’s return to campus plan and Public Health Guidelines. For any Fielding Innovation Space questions please contact


Q: How do I stay up-to-date regarding COVID-19-related information being issued by funding agencies?

A: Staff will be accessible by email to answer your research-related questions and provide commercialization and entrepreneurship support.  


Q: Do I need to adopt more stringent cleanliness and sanitation standards in my laboratory during this time?

A: Researchers are encouraged to continue to follow recommended guidance from Public Health Sudbury and Districts. Questions on health and safety in laboratories can be directed to Laurentian’s Manager of Occupational Health and Safety, Gail Copwer-Benoit. Additional information on health and safety during COVID-19 can be found here:


Q: What level of support can I expect for managing my grants, from application submission through to awards processing and providing access to my research funds?

A: Staff in the Office or Research Services continue to be available to support researchers. To make an appointment with a research advisor you can email:


Research Involving Humans

Q: Is the REB accepting new submissions?

A: Yes, applications can be sent to the REB for review.


Q: Can previously approved research continue?

A. Researchers are required to consult with the Research Ethics Board to obtain approval to restart research projects with human participants. Questions can be sent to


Q: Can I conduct on-campus research with humans?

A: Approval is required from the Laurentian University Research Ethics Board.  For more information on how to submit an ethics application:


Q: Should I be sending in my requests for renewal of the ethics certificate and project closure?

A: Yes, the REB continues to function and is supported by staff in the Office of Research Services. Questions can be directed to

This document will be updated as the situation evolves. Last updated: January 14, 2021. 


Why is COVID-19 vaccination mandatory for residence students?

All individuals entering campus are required to comply with Laurentian’s Policy on COVID-19 Vaccination.  The Policy applies to all individuals living in Laurentian University Residences.  

Are both doses required prior to move-in?

Residents who are eligible (see question on exemptions below) must be fully vaccinated prior to moving into residence.


I am living in Mature Student Residence (MSR). Does this apply to me?

Yes. This requirement applies to all individuals, who are eligible to be vaccinated, living in Laurentian University residences.


How will I provide proof of vaccination?

You will be required to upload your proof of vaccination on the secure portal, located at


What will happen if I don’t have proof of vaccination when I move in?

The expectation is that all students without an exemption will have to provide proof of vaccination when they move in. Please contact Accessibility Services for medical-related accommodation requests. In addition, students will have to attest to their COVID-19 vaccination before arrival.


Can I find out if my roommate has been vaccinated?

No. We are not able to share private health information.


Where can I get vaccinated? 

Students who have not received their first or second dose of COVID-19 vaccine are encouraged to register for an appointment through the provincial booking portal. Pharmacy booking information is also available through the portal.

Students can also contact Laurentian University Health and Wellness Services to register for COVID-19 immunization clinic bookings or find out additional information about vaccines.


What if I choose to not be fully vaccinated and do not qualify for an exemption?

Residence will be available only to those who are fully vaccinated or have an exemption. 


I no longer want to live in residence. Can I opt-out?

Yes. We understand that this change in requirements may not be supported by all residents and if you no longer want to live in residence, please email to complete the cancellation process.



What if I cannot be vaccinated? Are there exemptions to the mandatory vaccination requirement?




What changes are in place?

The health and safety of our campus community is our top priority. Students will be expected to follow all public health guidelines during their stay in residence. These include requirements with respect to physical distancing and wearing a face covering. There may also be additional residence specific rules in place, as precautionary measures (e.g. limiting visitors). We will regularly update students depending on changing circumstances.
To learn more about the measures in place around the university to protect students, and to learn more about the policies in place, please review the COVID-19 specific Student FAQ.


What is your procedure if an individual in residence tests positive for COVID-19?

Should a residence student test positive for COVID-19, the University’s isolation protocol may involve re-locating the student (and potentially roommates, where applicable) for the required period and providing necessary support. The residence continues to work with Public Health Sudbury and Districts regarding any isolation requirements.


Is there enhanced cleaning?

Cleaning in public areas (e.g. lobbies, common hallways and lounges, service desks, laundry rooms) has been enhanced as per guidelines from Public Health.

What are the current safety measures in place to ensure a safe campus dining experience?

We have been working closely with Public Health to ensure the ongoing safety of dining on campus. Measures such as COVID-19 screening, proper personal protective equipment such as face masks must be worn by our guests and employees, as well as frequent sanitation schedules of high touch points within the locations and the designated seating areas.

As the guidelines change we also monitor and adjust the capacity in each location.  All guests are advised to sanitize their hands before entering and exiting.  Physical distancing indicators are present throughout spaces.

This document will be updated as the situation evolves.

Please refer to the J.N. Desmarais Library and Archives FAQ for updated information. 

This will be updated as the situation evolves. Last updated: January 7,  2022.


Q: Q: I am a new student and want to register for Accessibility Services

A: Please go to the Accessibility Services website for information on how to register for services.


Q: Do I still need to book my tests and exams through the Accessibility Services online booking portal?

A: Yes, all students requiring testing (evaluation) accommodations for quizzes, tests, midterms and exams should book through the online booking portal; all bookings should be made at least 7 days in advance. The Accessibility Services office needs to be aware of all upcoming evaluations to ensure that each student’s accommodations are in place for each evaluation. If you require support, please contact your Accessibility Advisor. For general inquiries contact:, or phone 705-675-1151, ext. 3324.


Q: If my class does not have a face-to-face evaluation, where will I be writing the evaluation?

A: Depending on the type of evaluation (timed D2L evaluation, take-home exam, assignment, etc.), students are responsible for selecting an environment in which they will not be disrupted, in their home, or an alternative suitable space. If students reside with other people, they are encouraged to inform their cohabitants prior to the evaluation to avoid being disturbed, and select a comfortable space for the duration of the evaluation. Students distracted by background noise (e.g.,: construction, dogs barking, etc.), are encouraged to use earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones.


Q: How will I get my extra time accommodations for tests, exams or other timed evaluations?

A: Course instructors will be responsible for adding extra time to timed D2L evaluations, whether it is a synchronous proctored evaluation, or an evaluation that needs to be uploaded to the D2L dropbox. The Accessibility Services Exam Coordinator will communicate with course instructors one week prior to the evaluation date to ensure that the extra time has been added.


Q: If my Instructor is giving us 24 hours or more to complete an evaluation, do I still get my extra time accommodation?

A: Instructors are being encouraged to implement  Universal Design Learning principles. Students given a larger window of time (ex. one week) to complete an assignment that will normally require a set number of hours (e.g. 3 hrs) are to complete it on their own time and submit it by a deadline set by the instructor. Students who normally require extra time should budget extra time in the set window if time to devote to this activity and do not necessarily need a larger window of time. Students who believe they would still require this accommodation are asked to contact their Accessibility Advisor for assistance prior to the evaluation date.


Q: What will happen if there is a technical issue with the internet and I get disconnected from the synchronous evaluation?

A: Every student needs to ensure that they have a strong internet connection prior to any remote evaluation. If students are being proctored by Accessibility Services when the connection is disrupted, they are asked to please phone the Accessibility Services’ Exam Coordinator immediately at 705-675-1151, ext. 3309 so that the course instructor may be informed. Each incident will be handled case by case.


Q: Am I allowed to use the washroom during my synchronous proctored evaluation?

A: Yes. Students must inform the proctor prior to leaving their seat when a washroom break is needed.  The start and return time of the break will be noted, however the timer on the evaluation will not be stopped.


Q: I require a scribe for my evaluations. How will this be handled?

A: A scribe will be assigned to students by the Accessibility Services Exam Coordinator. 


Q: I need assistive technology for all evaluations. How will this work?

A: Students are encouraged to communicate with their Accessibility Advisor for all needs requiring assistive technology or special software. The Accessibility Advisors will work with Accessibility Services' Exam Coordinator to facilitate this accommodation on a case by case basis.

The Accessibility Services team is available to support you with any accessibility concerns as students transition to remotely delivered and/or online classes and evaluations. Please email for assistance. 

We are continuing to monitor the situation and will update accordingly. Last updated: September 15, 2021.


Technical support

Technical issues preventing you from performing your work or ability to teach and do research will continue to be prioritized as usual with the exception of work that requires physical access to a hardware device. 

Should you need technical assistance we kindly ask that you submit your request using the IT portal at If you are unable to login to the portal please email


Support hours

The Information Technology department has aligned its support hours to match the University hours (8:30 am to 4:00 pm).


I need to participate in a virtual meeting using Zoom, where can I find more information about it? 

To join a Zoom session, follow these instructions.

To create and manage Zoom sessions, please view the following video.

If you have additional questions about Zoom or about virtual meetings, please send an email to


If I have to work off campus, what are the IT services that allow me to work remotely?

Our G Suite for Education, student portals, WebAdvisor, Zoom and D2L will continue to work when working remote. You will require the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) software in order to connect to business applications (U/T Drive, UIWeb, Business Objects, Synoptix, Fusion) at the University.

The VPN is available from the following website


How can I check my voicemails if I’m off campus?

You can call the general University number (705-675-1151) and then use extension 4825. At the prompt, enter your own telephone extension followed by pound and enter your voicemail passcode.

We are continuing to monitor the situation and will update accordingly. Last updated: January 7, 2022.


Are faculty, staff and students required to wear face masks in classrooms and labs? 

Yes, all individuals, including professors, in classrooms and other instructional spaces are required to wear a mask or face covering when in the instructional space.  Individuals who have an accommodation and are unable to wear a mask will be required to wear a face shield. A face shield can be obtained from Accessibility Services if required. Please send an email to, or phone 705-675-1151, ext. 3324

Is physical distancing of 2m required in instructional spaces? 

Effective September 7th, 2021, physical distancing and capacity limit requirements for indoor instructional spaces have been removed.  Physical distancing of 2m is required for outdoor instructional spaces. 


Will there be study spaces on campus in the Winter term? 

Yes, there will be study spaces in the Library. Study spaces in other buildings on campus will also be available. Individuals using study spaces must adhere to public health guidelines including wearing a mask and maintaining physical distance of 3m from others. 

Weather permitting students are also encouraged to use the outside spaces.  There are tables throughout Founder’s Square and benches at other locations around campus. 


What can I do if I have an in-person course followed immediately by an on-line course and I don’t have time to travel home? 

There are both individual and group study rooms available to students in the J.N. Desmarais Library, which can be used by students needing to participate in a course online.  Students can check availability and make a same-day reservation by stopping by or calling the library service counter (705-675-1151 ext. 4800).  Students are welcome to participate in an online course anywhere on the second (main) floor of Desmarais Library, but are encouraged to use headphones and a microphone to minimize disturbance for others.  

The study areas in the Parker Building, especially on the second and third floors, may also be used.  The group rooms there are available on a “first-come, first-served” basis.  The use of headphones and a microphone is encouraged at the open tables in this area too.

Students are also encouraged to talk to their program coordinator to determine if additional study spaces can be set-up to accommodate students who are on-campus and also need to attend an on-line course.