Manager of Budget, Office of Budget and Payroll
This position works under the general direction of the Director of Budget and Payroll. This position supports the work of the budget process throughout the University. The Manager ensures the day-to-day operation relating to the efficiency of the Budget and Payroll Office and supports the Director in meeting the budgeting responsibilities and system reporting on the staffing complements. The successful candidate will:
Preparation of the University’s Annual Budget and Multi-Year Outlook
- Participate in the planning and implementation of the initial annual operating budget and multi-year, including salary increase planning and processing, and budgetary allocations and reallocations;
- Lead the implementation of a Responsibility Centre Management Budget Model;
- Ensure implementation and maintenance of Budget Group activities; including participating in the conceptual development of the various budget processes and specifications for all projects;
- Administer University budget process and conduct budget planning and development leading to the formulation of the initial operating budget; evaluate budgetary proposals, analyzing performance, and formulating the basis for the development of alternative scenarios of the future prospects of both income and expense;
- Prepare and assist in the analyses on various budget planning proposals in support of the University’s strategic planning process and the budget development process;
- Assist and provide advice to leaders in addressing their financial operations to attain satisfactory results;
- Evaluate the budget systems and procedures to promote strong business practices and efficient operations.
Review and Adjust Operating and Ancillary Budgets
- Identify variances between actual and budgeted financial results at the end of each reporting period;
- Analyze budget information to respond to internal and external queries and provide critical management information and other analysis to senior decision-makers;
- Support leaders in budget activities to ensure congruence with overall University goals and objectives;
- Review expenditure requests to ensure sufficient funds are available.
System Implementation and Reporting
- Lead new system development and implementation to improve budget and payroll efficiencies (ex. Position Budgeting, Budget Management, Benefits in arrears, etc.);
- Improve and develop various financial reports;
- Identify and implement effective technology solutions and generate operational reports;
- Provide analytical, research and project support to the Budget and Payroll Team.
- In the absence of the Payroll Supervisor, manage the Payroll office staff and ensure all payroll is processed on time;
- Assist in the payroll fiscal year-end;
- Audit and Review each pay to ensure accurate payment.
- Assist in the forecast and projection of both revenues and expenses throughout the fiscal year;
- Participate in the design of systems and instructions for the preparation of budget plans, requests, and proposed operating budgets by individual budget administrators;
- Oversee data management of the budget and payroll financial system;
- Develop and maintain budget and payroll training documents, propose enhancements and modify templates/spreadsheets as required;
- Oversee the maintenance of the university’s organizational charts to reflect the budgeted positions of the organization.
- Proven experience influencing others to adopt financial best practices;
- Inspire others to provide input and develop solutions to implement efficient processes;
- Translate financial information to support understanding by non-financial managers;
- Achieve results through engagement and collaboration;
- Strong communication skills;
- Establish and maintain consultative relationships with counterparts at peer institutions;
- Support strategic goals by providing analytical solutions and expertise to various levels within the University.
- Honors undergraduate degree (4 years) in Commerce, Finance or Accounting;
- MBA or post graduate designation relevant to this position (which could include an accounting designation) is a requirement;
- Three to five years of experience in a leadership role in a medium to large organization;
- Two to four years of experience with budgeting systems and practices;
- Experience in a public sector or broader public sector organizations would be an asset;
- Ability to take initiative and embrace challenges is required;
- Demonstrated critical analysis and accuracy skills are essential;
- Ability to lead and coach others, including leaders, colleagues, administrative and technical staff;
- Leadership competencies as required above;
- Ability to work fluently, orally and in writing, in both official languages, French and English.
Applications will only be accepted through our online form.