Each year, Laurentian University solicits recommendations from the university community for potential candidates for an honorary degree.
The awarding of honorary degrees is an important feature of Laurentian’s convocation and is meant to honour both the individual and the university, as well as inspire our graduates, their families and guests.
The university’s honorary degree recipients are selected from
- Have made outstanding contributions to intellectual advancements in key disciplines offered at Laurentian;
- Reflect the university’s values: students first, excellence, academic freedom, respect, alumni, diversity, truth, integrity, inclusiveness;
- Have been or have the potential to be significant benefactors of the university either creatively, materially or financially;
- Have made outstanding contributions to northeastern Ontario; or
- Have the ability to enhance the reputation of Laurentian University through their outstanding contributions in their fields at the national or international levels.
Solicited in January of every year, nominations are accepted when accompanied by a short biography and rationale for why this person should be considered.
If you know of a worthy candidate, please email email@example.com. Letters of reference are not required at this time. Candidates must not be aware of the nomination.