You are now in the main content area

All FAQs


View all other FAQs below this section:


VaccinationStudents | Accessibility | International Students | Research & Graduate Studies | Residence | Library | IT


Frequently Asked Questions

As of May 1, 2022 the Policy and Program on COVID-19 Vaccination has been paused.

Vaccination against COVID-19 is the single most effective public health measure to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Vaccines are safe, effective and the best way to protect you and those around you from COVID-19. Laurentian University will be offering COVID-19 vaccination for students, staff, faculty on Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m to 4:30 p.m in room G-23 (by appointment only) 


What do I do if I have symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, assume that you may have the virus. You must stay home and self-isolate.

Take the Government of Ontario COVID-19 self-assessment if you were exposed to COVID-19, or have symptoms of COVID-19. You will get a recommendation on what to do next.

If you think you may have COVID-19, were exposed to the virus, or are a household contact, visit to learn what to do next.


How can I get a COVID-19 vaccine?

Laurentian University will be offering COVID-19 vaccination for students, staff, and faculty on Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m to 4:30 p.m in room G-23 and also by appointment at other times. Appointments can be made by contacting the Health and Wellness Clinic at

 You can also learn about other opportunities to get vaccinated here: 


Where can I find my vaccination records?

If you received your vaccine in Ontario you can visit this site to download your vaccination receipts. You will need your health card number to download your record.


What are the requirements for International Students?

International students must follow all Government of Canada regulations as well as Laurentian University's International Readiness Plans for arrivals as approved by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU), the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). International students with questions should contact


What are the requirements for student placements?

Students taking part in clinical or practical placements will receive further information on any specific requirements that must be satisfied for their placement (i.e. any additional requirements imposed or required by a partner organization). 


Where can I direct other questions?

For questions regarding the vaccine requirement or other COVID-19 protocols, please contact

Our priority is to keep you healthy and safe. This document will be updated as the situation evolves. Last updated: August 10, 2022

This page includes information for current and prospective students about what to expect in the academic year. This information will be updated regularly to reflect the changing conditions of the pandemic in the months ahead, as well as the evolution of public health measures.


Vaccination Requirement

As of May 1, 2022  the Policy and Program on COVID-19 Vaccination has been paused. 


Reporting Illness

Any student who has been on campus and is experiencing symptoms potentially linked to COVID-19 is asked to report. Please refer to Procedures for Students Reporting Illness for more information.


Heath and Safety Measures

The University is committed to provide and maintain healthy and safe working and learning environments for all students, employees, volunteers, visitors and stakeholders. This is achieved by observing best practices which meet or exceed the standards to comply with legislative requirements. 


We are continuing to monitor the situation and will update accordingly. Last updated: August 10, 2022.

Students arriving in Canada must have valid documentation to travel to Canada and ensure that they carry proof of current term registration in order to enter the country. Those without current term registration should only enter Canada 30 days prior to the beginning of their studies.

Please ensure you have read and understood the items below:
New testing requirements for entering Canada by land and air 
Latest accommodation and quarantine measures


Q: How to Travel to Canada

A: If you are coming to Canada, please review the following documents to prepare for your arrival in Canada:


Q: I have a study permit/visa, can I attend classes online from outside Canada, without affecting my immigration status or Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) eligibility?

A: Yes, attending online courses from outside Canada, from the spring 2020 up until August 31, 2022, will not affect post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility because IRCC has made temporary changes to PGWP eligibility.


Q: What are the Deadlines to Drop or Add courses and refund schedule for the 2022-2023 Academic Year?

A: The important dates can be found at


Q: Will online courses affect my Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Eligibility?

Students in Canada will not have their PGWP eligibility affected by taking online courses due to shifts in the course delivery method due to COVID-19, or if they were forced to drop the term or become part-time students in the Winter/Spring/Summer 2020 terms. As of the fall 2020 semester, you must be studying full-time to be eligible.
Students outside Canada are also eligible for PGWP until August 31, 2022 if:

  • they have a valid study permit or a study permit application that is submitted/in process or has been approved.
  • they are in a PGWP eligible program that was in progress during March 2020 OR
  • a PGWP eligible program that started between Spring 2020 and December 2021
  • they complete 100% of studies online prior to August 31, 2022.

Disclaimer: It is recommended that students contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or an IIRSS immigration advisor to review their specific case. Canadian immigration regulations, policies, and procedures may change without notice. For the most current information, please visit the IRCC Website. For appointments with an IIRSS immigration advisor contact  – Revised December 8, 2021.


Q: Does Laurentian University offer employment or other income opportunities for international students?

A: Laurentian offers students an opportunity to work part-time or full-time on campus, in jobs that accommodate their studies. Laurentian employs approximately 1,000 students per year in various positions across campus including food services, recreation, office administration, and more. For more information, visit
You may be eligible to work off-campus while studying, if your study permit includes a condition that says you can work on or off-campus. You must also meet all the other requirements. You can only start working in Canada when you start your study program. You can’t work before your studies begin. For more information, visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.


Q: What about health insurance?

A: University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) UHIP is the mandatory and affordable health insurance plan for international students studying at Ontario Universities. The cost is $63 per month or $756 from September 1st to August 31st*. This health insurance plan can begin as early as the 10th day of the month prior to the beginning of your classes. For example, if you are beginning your studies in September, UHIP can start no earlier than August 10th. This insurance plan offers coverage for prescription medication, dental care, vision care as well as other professional services such as physiotherapy. Our office will be enrolling students during Orientation Month. Please contact our office at if you have any questions

  •  To find out more about UHIP coverage, visit 
  • You will automatically be enrolled in UHIP. Your UHIP card will be sent to you, by email, within the first two weeks of September. 
  • Any dependents (spouse and/or children) who will be living with you in Canada must also be enrolled. Students also have extended health insurance coverage offered through their student associations (AEF, SGA or GSA).


Q: If I study online/remotely from outside of Canada, do I need to buy the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) UHIP?

A: No, you only need to buy the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) UHIP if you are inside of Canada. If you are not currently in Canada, but you have been charged for UHIP,  you must contact immediately to inform us, so we can remove the UHIP charge from your student account.  If you return to Canada, you must inform before your arrival, our office will activate your UHIP to ensure you are covered.


Q: How do I get vaccinated once I am In Canada?

A:  Students can be vaccinated by contacting our Health and Wellness Services on-campus or by visiting the Public Health Authority of your area. Contact Sudbury, Public Health Sudbury & District if you are in Sudbury.


 Q: If I am fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine and may be exempt from quarantine, do I still need to have a quarantine plan?

Yes. Please read and complete all steps under the “Important steps for registering to travel" section. Regardless of vaccination status, all international travellers are required to submit a quarantine plan via ArriveCAN. (Every traveller must have a quarantine plan in case it is determined they're required to quarantine.)

Click the following link to make your quarantine plan.

We are continuing to monitor the situation and will update accordingly. Last updated: August 10, 2022.



Q: How can I work from home and access resources and systems from off campus?

Our G Suite for Education, student portals, WebAdvisor, Zoom and D2L will continue to work when working remotely. You will require the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) software in order to connect to business applications (U/T Drive, UIWeb, Business Objects, Synoptix, Fusion) at the University.

The VPN is available from the following website


Q: How do I stay up-to-date regarding COVID-19-related information being issued by funding agencies?

A: Staff will be accessible by email to answer your research-related questions and provide commercialization and entrepreneurship support.  


Q: Do I need to adopt more stringent cleanliness and sanitation standards in my laboratory during this time?

A: Researchers are encouraged to continue to follow recommended guidance from Public Health Sudbury and Districts. Questions on health and safety in laboratories can be directed to Laurentian’s Manager of Occupational Health and Safety, Gail Copwer-Benoit. Additional information on health and safety during COVID-19 can be found here:


Q: What level of support can I expect for managing my grants, from application submission through to awards processing and providing access to my research funds?

A: Staff in the Office or Research Services continue to be available to support researchers. To make an appointment with a research advisor you can email:


Research Involving Humans

Q: Is the REB accepting new submissions?

A: Yes, applications can be sent to the REB for review.


Q: Can previously approved research continue?

A. Researchers are required to consult with the Research Ethics Board to obtain approval to restart research projects with human participants. Questions can be sent to


Q: Can I conduct on-campus research with humans?

A: Approval is required from the Laurentian University Research Ethics Board.  For more information on how to submit an ethics application:


Q: Should I be sending in my requests for renewal of the ethics certificate and project closure?

A: Yes, the REB continues to function and is supported by staff in the Office of Research Services. Questions can be directed to

This document will be updated as the situation evolves. Last updated: August 10, 2022.


Can I find out if my roommate has been vaccinated?

No. We are not able to share private health information.


Where can I get vaccinated? 

Students who have not received the COVID-19 vaccine are encouraged to register for an appointment through the provincial booking portal. Pharmacy booking information is also available through the portal.

Students can also contact Laurentian University Health and Wellness Services to register for COVID-19 immunization clinic bookings or find out additional information about vaccines.


What is your procedure if an individual in residence tests positive for COVID-19?

Should a residence student test positive for COVID-19, the University’s isolation protocol may involve re-locating the student (and potentially roommates, where applicable) for the required period and providing necessary support. The residence continues to work with Public Health Sudbury and Districts regarding any isolation requirements.


Is there enhanced cleaning?

Cleaning in public areas (e.g. lobbies, common hallways and lounges, service desks, laundry rooms) has been enhanced as per guidelines from Public Health.


What are the current safety measures in place to ensure a safe campus dining experience?

We have been working closely with Public Health to ensure the ongoing safety of dining on campus.

As the guidelines change, we also monitor and adjust the capacity in each location. All guests are advised to sanitize their hands before entering and exiting. Physical distancing indicators are present throughout spaces.

This document will be updated as the situation evolves.

Please refer to the J.N. Desmarais Library and Archives FAQ for updated information. 

This will be updated as the situation evolves. Last updated: August 10, 2022.


Q: I am a new student and want to register for Accessibility Services

A: Please go to the Accessibility Services page for information on how to register for services.


Q: Do I still need to book my tests and exams through the Accessibility Services online booking portal?

A:  Yes, all students requiring testing (evaluation) accommodations for quizzes, tests, midterms and exams should book through the online booking portal; all bookings should be made at least 7 days in advance. The Accessibility Services office needs to be aware of all upcoming evaluations to ensure that each student’s accommodations are in place for each evaluation. If you require support, please contact your Accessibility Advisor. For general inquiries contact:, or phone 705-675-1151, ext. 3324.


Q: If my class does not have a face-to-face evaluation, where will I be writing the evaluation?

A: Depending on the type of evaluation (timed D2L evaluation, take-home exam, assignment, etc.), students are responsible for selecting an environment in which they will not be disrupted, in their home, or an alternative suitable space. If students reside with other people, they are encouraged to inform their cohabitants prior to the evaluation to avoid being disturbed, and select a comfortable space for the duration of the evaluation. Students distracted by background noise (e.g.,: construction, dogs barking, etc.), are encouraged to use earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones.


Q: How will I get my extra time accommodations for tests, exams or other timed evaluations?

A: Course instructors will be responsible for adding extra time to timed D2L evaluations, whether it is a synchronous proctored evaluation, or an evaluation that needs to be uploaded to the D2L dropbox. The Accessibility Services Exam Coordinator will communicate with course instructors one week prior to the evaluation date to ensure that the extra time has been added.


Q: If my Instructor is giving us 24 hours or more to complete an evaluation, do I still get my extra time accommodation?

A: Instructors are being encouraged to implement  Universal Design Learning principles. Students given a larger window of time (ex. one week) to complete an assignment that will normally require a set number of hours (e.g. 3 hrs) are to complete it on their own time and submit it by a deadline set by the instructor. Students who normally require extra time should budget extra time in the set window if time to devote to this activity and do not necessarily need a larger window of time. Students who believe they would still require this accommodation are asked to contact their Accessibility Advisor for assistance prior to the evaluation date.


Q: What will happen if there is a technical issue with the internet and I get disconnected from the synchronous evaluation?

A: Every student needs to ensure that they have a strong internet connection prior to any remote evaluation. If students are being proctored by Accessibility Services when the connection is disrupted, they are asked to please phone the Accessibility Services’ Exam Coordinator immediately at 705-675-1151, ext. 3309 so that the course instructor may be informed. Each incident will be handled case by case.


Q: Am I allowed to use the washroom during my synchronous proctored evaluation?

A: Yes. Students must inform the proctor prior to leaving their seat when a washroom break is needed.  The start and return time of the break will be noted, however the timer on the evaluation will not be stopped.


Q: I require a scribe for my evaluations. How will this be handled?

A: A scribe will be assigned to students by the Accessibility Services Exam Coordinator. 


Q: I need assistive technology for all evaluations. How will this work?

A: Students are encouraged to communicate with their Accessibility Advisor for all needs requiring assistive technology or special software. The Accessibility Advisors will work with the Accessibility Services' Exam Coordinator to facilitate this accommodation on a case-by-case basis.

The Accessibility Services team is available to support you with any accessibility concerns as students transition to remotely delivered and/or online classes and evaluations. Please email for assistance. 

We are continuing to monitor the situation and will update accordingly. Last updated: August 10, 2022.


Technical support

Technical issues preventing you from performing your work or ability to teach and do research will continue to be prioritized as usual with the exception of work that requires physical access to a hardware device. 

Should you need technical assistance we kindly ask that you submit your request using the IT portal at


Support hours

The Information Technology department has aligned its support hours to match the University hours (8:30 am to 4:00 pm).


I need to participate in a virtual meeting using Zoom, where can I find more information about it? 

To join a Zoom session, follow these instructions.

To create and manage Zoom sessions, please view the following video.

If you have additional questions about Zoom or about virtual meetings, please send an email to


If I have to work off campus, what are the IT services that allow me to work remotely?

Our G Suite for Education, student portals, WebAdvisor, Zoom and D2L will continue to work when working remotely. You will require the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) software in order to connect to business applications (U/T Drive, UIWeb, Business Objects, Synoptix, Fusion) at the University.

The VPN is available from the following website


How may I check my voicemails if I’m off campus?

You may call the general University number (705-675-1151) and then use extension 4825. At the prompt, enter your own telephone extension followed by pound and enter your voicemail passcode.

We are continuing to monitor the situation and will update accordingly. Last updated : August 10, 2022

Are faculty, staff and students required to wear face masks in classrooms and labs? 

Please refer to our Mask Use Guidelines.


Is physical distancing of 2m required in instructional spaces? 

Effective September 7th, 2021, physical distancing and capacity limit requirements for indoor instructional spaces have been removed. We continue to encourage everyone to maintain physical distances whenever possible.


What can I do if I have an in-person course followed immediately by an on-line course and I don’t have time to travel home? 

There are both individual and group study rooms available to students in the J.N. Desmarais Library, which can be used by students needing to participate in a course online.  Students can check availability and make a same-day reservation by stopping by or calling the library service counter (705-675-1151 ext. 4800).  Students are welcome to participate in an online course anywhere on the second (main) floor of Desmarais Library, but are encouraged to use headphones and a microphone to minimize disturbance for others.

The study areas in the Parker Building, especially on the second and third floors, may also be used. The group rooms there are available on a “first-come, first-served” basis.  The use of headphones and a microphone is encouraged at the open tables in this area too.

Students are also encouraged to talk to their program coordinator to determine if additional study spaces can be set-up to accommodate students who are on-campus and also need to attend an on-line course.